Please select your location to view information that is specific to you.
Land Acquisitions, Resumption of Land and Compulsory Acquisition of Land by Government
Slater and Gordon provides legal assistance to individuals and businesses whose land is being compulsorily acquired (or is proposed to be acquired) by a government agency or department.
We "build the case" in support of our client’s compensation claim. The case is often constructed with the aid of a team of experienced and expert property valuers, town planners, forensic accountants, agronomists, and/or engineers.
By working with us
Our land and compulsory acquisition lawyers can:
- give you advice on the applicable statutory compensation regime
- formulate negotiation strategies to be deployed prior to any formal acquisition
- negotiate with the acquiring authority on the provision of appropriate arrangements for temporary access to land
- retain expert property and business valuers and other professionals, where required
- conduct negotiations with the acquiring authority
- prepare compensation claims
- advise on the strength and weaknesses of claims and the appropriateness of escalating disputes to a Tribunal or Court hearing
- conduct court proceedings connected with compulsory acquisition disputes.
We have been engaged by individuals and businesses throughout Australia to negotiate compensation arising from the compulsory acquisition of property.
- We have acted for large groups of clients affected by a single acquisition project.
- We have successfully co-ordinated the negotiation of favourable land use arrangements on behalf of client groups and maximised their combined compensation entitlements.
- Where necessary, we have taken acquiring authorities to courts and tribunals to seek justice and fair compensation for our clients.
- In some instances, we have obtained compensation that was 5 times higher than the acquiring authority was originally prepared to offer.
Some of our clients have been affected by some of the largest acquisition projects in Australia. These projects have been categorised to their relevant state and can be accessed via the links below:
See if our land and compulsory acquisition lawyers can help you. Contact us today.