You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

In recent years there has been an increase in awareness of sexual and institutional abuse of children. Because of this, significant improvements are being made in situations where children might be at risk. Whilst this is reassuring for current parents and guardians, it does not help people who have suffered sexual abuse in the past.

No amount of money can repair the physical and psychological damage caused by years of abuse—however, it can assist with medical treatment costs and living costs for those who struggle to maintain full-time employment.

What to do if you have been abused

If you are a victim of abuse and have already made the courageous choice to report your incident, you may wish to consider your options to be compensated for the pain, suffering, and psychological impact.

If you want to pursue a claim, it is vital you speak with a lawyer who specialises in sexual abuse compensation claims. An experienced abuse lawyer will have a deep understanding of the legal process for abuse claims, the stakeholders involved in the compensation process, and most importantly, an understanding of the difficulties you may be facing.

Dealing with the police

If you haven’t already done so, you should report your sexual abuse case to the police, as well as your local doctor. It is vital you seek medical assistance as soon as possible, to help you deal with any physical damage, as well as the trauma you may be feeling. The psychological impact of sexual or physical abuse can be long lasting, so getting help early will assist in your long-term recovery. Your GP will not have the qualifications or skills to provide psychological support, however they can document any physical impacts and provide the details of someone who can assist you with mental support.

Meeting your Abuse Claim Lawyer

We understand that talking about your abuse can be challenging. When you meet your abuse compensation lawyer for the first time, they will listen and discuss the background of your case and the impact it has had on your life without passing judgement. People who have suffered institutional and sexual abuse may have an irregular employment history, experience medical impacts (including mental health) or behavioural impacts (such as crime). All these are relevant to your compensation case, and it is important that we understand the full range of impact the abuse has had on your life.

At this point your lawyer will explain the fees related to your case to you. Once you have completed the initial discussion and signed an agreement to proceed with your case, your lawyer will start the process of gathering evidence and witness statements. This could be from doctors, psychiatrists, employers, police, Centrelink, corrective services, school mates, government records, friends, family and more.

One your abuse claims lawyer has gathered this information, they will discuss your legal rights and their recommendation on how to proceed with the claim. This will include time frames and any fees that may be involved during the claims process. Your lawyer will keep you updated on progress, as will the team managing your claim.

Start your institutional abuse claim now

Not sure if you have a valid abuse compensation claim? Speak to one of our experienced, caring and dedicated abuse compensation lawyers today. We'll listen to your circumstances and advise you about the best approach. Get in touch to arrange your free initial appointment.**

Thank you for your feedback.

We're here to help. Make an enquiry now.

If you have a question, want some more information or would just like to speak to someone, make an enquiry now and our National Redress Scheme team will be in touch with you as soon as possible.

Call us on 1800 870 813

More Information