You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

If you or your loved ones have been hurt in a car crash, motorbike accident or train, tram or bus accident - even as a cyclist or pedestrian - you may be entitled to a range of compensation benefits. Being injured in a motor vehicle accident can be a life-changing experience. We can help you with your legal needs so you can concentrate on getting better.

No matter your injury, we can help

Unfortunately, road accidents can lead to many types of injuries, both physical and psychological. These may include, but aren’t limited to:

  • Brain injury

  • Spinal cord injuries

  • Fractures

  • Whiplash injuries

  • Soft tissue injuries

  • Nervous shock/psychological injuries

  • Scarring

Whatever your injury - you'll have your own needs.

Our lawyers can advise you of your potential for compensation based on your individual circumstances and needs.

Learn more about common car accident injuries

You can claim in a range of circumstances, not just car accidents

Road and transport accident claims aren't just for drivers and passengers of cars. You may be able to make an injury compensation claim if you are:

The most important thing to do is to seek legal advice as soon as possible so you know where you stand. You can get in touch with us today to arrange a free, no obligation initial appointment**.

Your entitlements

Even if you were at fault in the accident, you may be entitled to:

  • Medical expenses

  • Other expenses such as cleaning, gardening, and more

  • Weekly payments for loss of income

  • Lump sum impairment benefits

If another party was at fault (even partially), you may be entitled to a common law claim, to compensate you for your pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life, and past and future loss of earnings.

What is a common law claim?

In a road or transport accident case, a common law claim involves taking action against a negligent party. So, if another person was at fault for your car accident, you may be entitled to claim damages through a common law claim. For example, if the driver of the other car ran a stop sign, causing the accident, then you may be entitled to common law compensation in addition to your other Transport Accident Commission (TAC) entitlements.

How to make a motor vehicle accident claim

Strict time limits apply to making a claim and you should seek legal advice as soon as possible if you have been involved in an accident.

Compensation is generally paid by an insurance company or government agency that manages motor vehicle accident claims in your state. In Victoria, this is the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). Every registered vehicle in Victoria has third party insurance (CTP, or Compulsory Third Party insurance) included in their registration to ensure compensation is available in the unfortunate event of an accident occurring.

Act fast

A claim for compensation with the Transport Accident Commission must be submitted within 12 months of the date of accident. The TAC can exercise its discretion to accept a claim submitted after 12 months but within 3 years from the date of accident. If a person fails to lodge a claim within 3 years, they will not be entitled to any benefits from the TAC.

We can help you get back on track

Right from the outset of your case, we know exactly what we need to do to get the best outcome for you. We are experts in understanding your situation and helping you get the specific compensation you’re entitled to at law in an efficient and stress-free manner. In-fact, most of our cases are settled out of court. Our goal is to maximise the compensation you receive and handle everything so you can concentrate on what's important - your recovery.

  • In-home or in-hospital appointments

    Sometimes your injury may prevent you from travelling. You may be in hospital for treatment, or at home unable to travel because of your injuries. In any circumstance like this, we will arrange to come to you.

  • 80 years of experience means we're experts in the process

    We've been fighting for the rights of the injured for over 80 years, and over that time we've become one of the most efficient motor vehicle accident teams in the country. Knowing the system, and knowing the process, like the back of our hands means that right from the moment we meet with you - we're thinking about what you're entitled to and how we can get it for you in the quickest and most stress-free way possible.

  • Free social work services

    We understand that obtaining the correct legal entitlements is only one of the many issues people have to face on their journey through life-changing incidents. As a caring and community-minded firm, we've long recognised the value of providing free social work services to address these issues to help improve clients’ wellbeing. In fact, we were the first, and are still the only law firm in Australia to offer this service. We're here to help you in times of difficulty.

    Learn more about our free social work services

We don't just win cases - we change the law for the better

At Slater and Gordon, we don't just care about the people we represent - we care about all people involved in car. road and transport accidents. That's why, in addition to being one of the most successful motor vehicle accident firms in Australia, we constantly:

  • Fight behind the scenes to protect the rights of the injured

  • Improve the processes involved in fighting for all injured claimants

  • Work to improve the compensation that injured people can receive

Some of the groundbreaking work we've done to improve the circumstances of all motor vehicle and transport accident victims include:

  • Fighting to restore your rights when they are threatened

    In 2013, the Victorian state government introduced legislation that significantly impacted the rights of people who sustained an injury in a car, road or transport accident. These laws changed the definition of a "serious psychiatric injury", which made it much harder for victims of psychological trauma as the result of a car accident, to gain compensation. We lobbied to get a commitment from the opposition to repeal these changes if they won, which they did.

  • Increasing compensation benefits for the injured

    By lobbying for change and advocating for injured people's rights, we've been instrumental in increasing the range and amount of compensation the injured can receive. Benefits such as funeral expenses and compensation for psychological counselling for victims have been introduced and improved as a result of the tireless work our team put in behind the scenes.

Hear about a case like yours

Cheryl Motorvehicle
Hear Cheryl's story


Slater and Gordon's No Win - No Fee* arrangement is generally available for all types of motor vehicle and transport accident claims. This means you do not pay for legal fees unless your case is successful. If your case is successful, we'll then charge our professional fees. Our fees are not based on a percentage of your compensation entitlement, they are assessed on a Court Scale. We will discuss legal costs with you the beginning of your case - meaning no nasty surprises for you at the end.

You will receive a document setting out the details of the No Win - No Fee arrangement at your free initial appointment. We are not retained as your lawyers until the document is signed and returned to us, so you have time to consider your options.

Additional costs

From time to time, you may incur additional costs throughout your case. For example, we may need to gain access to your medical records or obtain expert reports, which usually costs a fee. This is called a disbursement.

Generally, if you are successful in your case, the TAC or other party will pay a substantial portion of these disbursements.

You'll know if there's likely to be any additional costs at your free initial appointment**. Our team will then guide you through everything you need to know, step by step, so you feel comfortable and informed before you make a decision to proceed. We'll do everything we can to minimise costs and maximise your compensation.

What to expect during your case

Every case is different. It could take months or years depending on your injury and circumstances, but there are a number of steps you generally go through while making a road, transport or car accident injury claim. Our expert and caring legal team can guide you through all of them to ensure you get the best possible outcome.

Meet the team

Expert lawyers

When you work with us, you'll have a dedicated team of experts working hard to get you the compensation you're entitled to so you can concentrate on getting better. With over 80 years' experience, we've been working on cases like yours for years - constantly refining the way we work to help you get the best possible outcome. We'll let you tell your story, because we know that everyone's needs and circumstances are different. And, when we know the ins and outs of your case, we will know exactly how to help you get the compensation you need in the most efficient and stress-free manner possible.

Caring and knowledgable support staff

In addition to your lawyer, you'll also have a legal assistant working on your case. They'll take the time to fully understand you and your case, so they can provide tailored support that's right for you.

Your legal assistant will work with your lawyer to:

  • Arrange your appointments

  • Assist in delivering your benefits as soon as they are available

  • Prepare documents for you

  • Keep you updated every step of the way

  • Field any enquiries you have

Our team will do everything we can to minimise disruption during the life of your claim to make sure you can concentrate on getting better.
To find out more you can read more about what to expect when meeting your lawyer for the first time.

Superannuation and Disability Insurance claims

If you are no longer performing your normal work duties as a result of your injury, you may be entitled to a disability benefit through your superannuation fund. We can conduct an obligation free assessment to find out if you may be entitled to a payment.

Learn more about Superannuation and Disability Insurance claims

Thank you for your feedback.

More Information

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our Motor Vehicle Accident team