Sometimes disputes are unavoidable. Stress doesn't have to be.
You or your business could face a broad range of issues requiring legal assistance - such as disputes with business partners, suppliers, landlords, advisors and other service providers, as well as disputes with government departments.
Every dispute has its own set of unique variables. Our team is experienced in dealing with all areas of litigation and arbitration, consistently achieving outstanding results no matter how complex your issue is.
No matter your dispute, we can help
Our team have the knowledge and experience to find a practical solution to the problems you are facing, and put in place an effective strategy to achieve a positive outcome for you. We help individuals and businesses across a wide range of issues, including:
Company, partnership and other business disputes
Disputes relating to the acquisition, disposal or management of assets and trusts
It's best to get legal advice as soon as possible so you can know where you stand. Once we have sufficient information, we can assess your claim and advise you of your options before taking any action against the other party.
Know what you're entitled to
Depending on your dispute, there could be many outcomes that are reached upon the end of a successful claim. Generally, we could help you to:
Recover money or assets owed to you
Stop conduct that negatively affects you
Obtain compensation for your losses
Change a previous decision made
Obtain litigation funding to pursue a claim
Speak to us today so we can assess your case and provide you with expert legal advice. With us, you'll know what you're entitled to.
We know how to make the law work for you
Our team will provide you with transparency about costs, timing and possible outcomes to ensure you are fully informed at all times. Litigation can be challenging, but our knowledge and experience allow us to remove doubt and uncertainty. We'll give you the information you need to make informed decisions based on clear and frank advice.
We're a large nationwide firm
We have offices all over Australia, allowing our team to operate wherever their cases take them. We have extensive experience in taking on cases across all jurisdictions. We are a well-known and highly respected firm.
We offer litigation funding options
Our expertise at ensuring cases are funded properly translates into certainty for you. Knowing that you have the financial resources to see your case through gives you a level of assurance and comfort that is essential in any dispute. Talk to us about funding options or read more about litigation funding.
We have over 30 years of experience in commercial litigation. Our reputation for tackling disputes has been well earned through hard won victories and our continuous effort to achieve great outcomes for our clients. We don’t act for large companies, but we do act against them, and we know what is required to get results.
When you work with us, we'll provide you with full estimates before we do any work and will only proceed once you have agreed to them.
We offer a range of funding options for our clients, including:
- Fee for service - you pay as you go
- No Win - No Fee*: you pay your legal costs upon a successful outcome. Please note there is a premium applied to your legal costs under this arrangement.
- Litigation funding through third parties - a litigation funder takes care of your costs during your case. They are reimbursed upon a successful outcome, plus a fee.
- A tailored funding package to suit your needs
We operate on a transparent basis when it comes to estimating your legal costs. We'll provide you with a full estimate before we act for you and continue to update you on those costs during the course of your case.
To work out what funding options are available for you and what best suits your needs, talk to us about your case and we'll discuss your options.
Can the other party pay my costs?
In some circumstances, the other party may be ordered to pay your costs once the case is resolved. This will vary depending upon the nature of the dispute. We'll be able to provide you with advice about this once we have fully assessed your case.
What to expect
Every Commercial Litigation case is different. The length will vary greatly depending on the nature of the dispute. We'll be able to provide you with advice about this once we've assessed your case.
Generally, there are a number of steps you'll go through during your claim:
We assess your case and provide you with initial advice.
- If appropriate, we initiate contact with the other party by sending a letter of demand or responsive letter.
- We attempt to negotiate a resolution of the dispute with the other party.
Commence or defend court proceedings
- If the parties continue to be in dispute, we prepare the necessary paperwork to commence legal proceedings against the other party or defend any legal proceedings issued against you.
- Once proceedings have commenced, a number of processes will need to be completed. This includes the parties exchanging documents relating to the dispute.
Mediation or pre-hearing conference
- Prior to trial, the parties will be required to attend mediation or a pre-hearing conference. At the mediation or conference, the parties will attempt to negotiate a settlement of the dispute
Trial preparation (if the dispute remains unresolved)
- If the parties are unable to negotiate a settlement, the case will proceed to trial.
- A number of steps will need to be completed by the parties in preparation for trial including preparing and exchanging evidence.
Trial and judgment
- The court will set a date for the trial. At the trial, the parties will present their case before a judge.
- After the trial is finished, the judge will review the case and, at a later date, deliver their judgment (the outcome of the case) and reasons for the decision.