You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Road Time Lapse Cropped

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) has recently made some changes to TAC entitlements that should give you easier, and more timely access to the treatment and benefits you need in the unfortunate event you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident.

For the most up to date TAC claim information, visit our How to make a TAC claim page

Changes to the law

Cyclists injured when hitting a stationary or parked vehicle

The TAC will now extend its cover to accidents where a cyclist collides with a parked or stationary car. TAC benefits and compensation are now available for this kind of accident if it occurred from 9 July 2014 onwards. If you or someone you love has been involved in an accident like this, we recommend obtaining independent legal advice as soon as possible. Strict time limits apply to these claims. Slater and Gordon offer a free initial appointment* to discuss your rights and entitlements and No Win, No Fee** arrangements for motor vehicle accident claims.

Grandparents entitlements

Grandparents are now eligible for a number of benefits from the TAC if a family member is involved in an accident. The TAC will now pay for grandparents to receive:

  • Travel and accommodation costs to visit a seriously injured family member in hospital

  • Counselling services where a family member is severely injured or dies in an accident

These entitlements for grandparents are available for accidents occurring from 26 September 2018 onwards. If you would like more details, please give us call.

Increase in amount payable for travel and accommodation expenses

The monetary amount available to immediate family members for travel and accommodation expenses to visit a family member in hospital has now doubled. The present cap for these expenses is now $20,000 per TAC claim per family.

The increased amount applies to requests for travel and accommodation expenses made on or after 26 September 2018 regardless of when the accident occurred.

Income assistance

Parents and guardians are now entitled to income assistance if they experience a loss of income as a result of visiting their dependent child in hospital.

The TAC will reimburse 100% of a parent's lost wages up to a present maximum of $1,350 per week. The total amount payable between parents is presently capped at $10,000.

This new benefit is available for accidents occurring from 26 September 2018. Parents who suffer this loss of income should contact the TAC and provide their latest payslips and a letter from their employer. Please do not hesitate to give us a call if you require more information or assistance in claiming this benefit.

Payment of professional administrator fees

If an injured person, due to their injury or disability, has a professional financial administrator appointed by a Court or Tribunal to manage their financial affairs the TAC can pay for the administrator's fees in managing their TAC benefits, including weekly income payments and their lump sum impairment benefit.

This is available for administrator fees incurred after 26 September 2018, regardless of when the accident occurred. Give us a call to find out more, including how to claim this cost from the TAC.

Other changes

Additional recent changes to the TAC scheme include:

  • An additional four weeks of overseas attendant care services per year if a severely injured person is required to travel because of work. This is in addition to the existing 8 weeks of overseas attendant care available per year.
  • Extension of dependency benefits to full-time dependent apprentices when their parent/guardian dies in a transport accident. Previously, dependency benefits were only available for full-time students up to the age of 25 years old.
  • Removal of the five-year mandatory TAC review of a person's entitlement to ongoing income benefits (loss of earning capacity benefits) of people who are assessed as having a 50% impairment or more.

If you would like to understand more about any of these changes in benefits, you should get in contact with an experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer.

Need more information or want to speak with an experienced transport accident lawyer?

If you would like to understand more about any of the updates above and how they relate to your claim, or if you have a claim you would like to discuss with an experienced transport accident lawyer, get in touch by submitting an enquiry online or calling 1800 555 777. At Slater and Gordon we offer a free initial appointment* and No Win, No Fee** for personal injury matters. We also have a free in-house social work service upon referral by a lawyer.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Motor Vehicle Accidents
Do I need to sue the driver to get compensation for my road injury?

If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation benefits, which are designed to be a financial safety net to help with your expenses while you get back to health and move forward with your life. Getting medical help early if you’ve been injured gives you a better chance of making a full recovery. But the reality is that costs can often mount up quickly if you’ve been injured, especially if you’re not working and need ongoing medical treatment. Compensation benefits like payments for your medical costs and income support payments can help lessen these financial burdens, so you can focus on your recovery. But many people are often hesitant to make a...

Airbags deflated after car accident
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Podcast: Don’t turn a happy holiday into a disaster

Welcome to The Slate by Slater and Gordon Join State Practice Group Leader Genevieve Henderson and Associate Emma Bussoletti from our New South Wales Motor Vehicle Accidents team as they provide road safety tips to help you plan a safe trip away during this holiday. Drawing on their years of experience as Motor Vehicle Accident lawyers, Gen and Emma will discuss topics such as what to do with pets in cars and the ever-present dangers of drink driving.

Emma and Genevieve podcast
Motor Vehicle Accidents
What to do if you’ve been in a car accident and the other party has left the scene

Being in a car accident can be a stressful situation. If you ever find yourself in one, the first thing you should do is to make sure everyone is OK and to call 000 if emergency assistance is required, such as the police, ambulance or fire services. It’s very important to remember to collect the other party’s details after a motor vehicle accident, this will help the police if they need to investigate, help you claim on your car insurance or if you need to make a claim with the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). It’s required by law to exchange relevant contact and insurance details in the event of a road accident. However, if the driver of the other car involved in the accident...

Two cars in a minor vehicle accident

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our Motor Vehicle Accident team