You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Airbags deflated after car accident

If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation benefits, which are designed to be a financial safety net to help with your expenses while you get back to health and move forward with your life.

Many people are hesitant to make a claim

Getting medical help early if you’ve been injured gives you a better chance of making a full recovery. But the reality is that costs can often mount up quickly if you’ve been injured, especially if you’re not working and need ongoing medical treatment. Compensation benefits like payments for your medical costs and income support payments can help lessen these financial burdens, so you can focus on your recovery.

But many people are often hesitant to make a compensation claim because they’re worried about the financial and legal impact on the driver, this is most common when a friend or family member was responsible or involved in the accident. Many people are worried that if they make a compensation claim for their injuries they’ll need to sue their loved one or otherwise create legal problems for them.

But this is not the case.

Find out if you have a claim in just 3 minutes

Use our free Online Claim Check to find out where you stand and if you have a claim.

Who pays for your compensation if you make a motor vehicle accident claim?

In New South Wales, we have a Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance scheme, also known as “greenslips”. CTP insurance is compulsory for all drivers in NSW and is designed to provide financial support for people who’ve been injured on our roads.

When a compensation claim is made, it’s paid out by the CTP insurer, not the driver of the vehicle at fault.

Taking care of your own recovery

If you’ve been injured in a road accident, you don’t need to be afraid of financially harming the other party if you need to make a claim to help with your own recovery. The important thing is to make sure you seek the help you need.

If you’ve been injured in a road accident and would like to make a claim or would just like to find out what your rights are, you can get in touch with our expert team of Motor Vehicle Accident lawyers. Our team have years of experience and are committed to helping you with your compensation claim, while minimising your stress.

Time limits are applicable, so it’s best to seek advice as soon as possible.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our Motor Vehicle Accident team

Latest blog posts

Compensation Law
Motor Vehicle Accidents – Understanding the Claims Process

If you’ve been injured in a road accident and have started to think about the avenues to compensation, you may now be wondering about the process that takes place to pursue compensation. As you’ll probably already be aware, your rights in this area are covered under legislation and insurance schemes administered by state transport accident authorities or insurers. While no two car accident claims are the same, it is possible to outline some general rules and advice that apply to the majority of cases. (If you’re still trying to get your head around the basics of road accident insurance and compensation, the article I’ve been Injured in a Road Accident – What do I do now? may be...

Road Safety Cone
Motor Vehicle Accidents
What to do if you’ve been in a car accident and the other party has left the scene

Being in a car accident can be a stressful situation. If you ever find yourself in one, the first thing you should do is to make sure everyone is OK and to call 000 if emergency assistance is required, such as the police, ambulance or fire services. It’s very important to remember to collect the other party’s details after a motor vehicle accident, this will help the police if they need to investigate, help you claim on your car insurance or if you need to make a claim with the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). It’s required by law to exchange relevant contact and insurance details in the event of a road accident. However, if the driver of the other car involved in the accident...

Two cars in a minor vehicle accident
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Teddy Nguyen is just a regular guy

It was just a regular September night. Teddy who was 25 then, was having dinner at a friend’s house, where they made plans to see a movie. Before the movie, Teddy decided to drive his motorbike home first, so they could all travel together to the cinema. The trip home was less than two kilometres and it was a drive he’d done a thousand times before, but on his trip that night, he was struck by an L-plater on a night drive with her mum. Three years since his collision, Teddy now has a prosthetic left leg from his knee down. It was a hard choice deciding to amputate, but between the three options his doctors had presented, this was the one that best ensured him mobility in the future,...

Teddy Nguyen Slater and Gordon client2