You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Two cars in a minor vehicle accident

Being in a car accident can be a stressful situation. If you ever find yourself in one, the first thing you should do is to make sure everyone is OK and to call 000 if emergency assistance is required, such as the police, ambulance or fire services.

Collect the other party’s details

It’s very important to remember to collect the other party’s details after a motor vehicle accident, this will help the police if they need to investigate, help you claim on your car insurance or if you need to make a claim with the Transport Accident Commission (TAC).

Details you should collect after an accident:

  • The other driver’s name
  • The other driver’s address
  • The other driver’s phone number
  • The other vehicle’s registration details (licence plate number)
  • The make and model of the other vehicle
  • The date and time of the accident
  • The location of the accident

What if the other party has left or refuses to provide their details?

It’s required by law to exchange relevant contact and insurance details in the event of a road accident. However, if the driver of the other car involved in the accident has fled the scene without leaving their details or they simply refuse to, the accident now involves what is called an ‘unidentified driver’. It’s important in these circumstances to take reasonable steps to try and determine their identity, and to report the accident to the Police and provide them with as many details as possible to try and assist them in identifying the other party (car make and model, colour, any other revealing traits etc...). This can become an important step if you’ve suffered a serious and permanent injury because of the accident and want to pursue a common law claim with the TAC down the track.

You may still claim for compensation

If you don’t have the insurance details of the other party that caused the accident, or even if you caused the accident yourself, you may still be entitled to make a claim for compensation with the TAC. There are no-fault benefits you may claim, which are designed to provide support to anybody that’s been injured on the roads. There are three main no-fault benefits available:

Medical and like expenses:

If you are injured in a car accident you may be able to claim all reasonable medical and like expenses from the TAC. Medical expenses include a wide range of things such as hospital, surgery/injections, doctor appointments, physio and chiro treatments, radiology/scans, medication, travel expenses incurred in obtaining treatment, child care, and home help expenses.

For the first 90 days after an accident, you can get treatment for most medical services without pre-approval from the TAC.

However, after 90 days it’s important to seek the pre-approval of the TAC to continue your treatments without incurring out of pocket costs.

If you are out of pocket or if any of your medical expenses have been denied or refused by the TAC, you should speak to a lawyer to see if the decision can be reviewed and overturned. There are strict time limits which apply to reviewing a TAC decision so speak to a lawyer as soon as possible.

Loss of earnings:

In addition to your medical expenses you may also claim for loss of earnings if you’re unable to work your normal hours because of the injuries you suffered in the accident.

Impairment benefit:

If you’ve suffered a permanent injury in the car accident you may be entitled to lump sum compensation, in the form of an impairment benefit. Whether you qualify for an impairment benefit and how much you may be entitled to, will depend on your assessed impairment.

An 11% impairment entitles you to $8,040. The compensation amount increases by each percentage point. For example, someone with a 20% impairment is entitled to $21,840 and someone with a 25% impairment is entitled to $32,690. The amounts are indexed annually.

It’s also important to know that if the accident was caused by another party, even if it involves an unidentified vehicle, and you’ve been left with a serious and permanent injury, you should obtain legal advice about pursuing a common law claim for pain and suffering and financial loss from the TAC.

Strict time limits apply with TAC claims so we suggest you get legal advice and support as soon as you can after your accident to make sure your rights are protected.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our Motor Vehicle Accident team

Latest blog posts

Compensation Law
Motor Vehicle Accidents – Understanding the Claims Process

If you’ve been injured in a road accident and have started to think about the avenues to compensation, you may now be wondering about the process that takes place to pursue compensation. As you’ll probably already be aware, your rights in this area are covered under legislation and insurance schemes administered by state transport accident authorities or insurers. While no two car accident claims are the same, it is possible to outline some general rules and advice that apply to the majority of cases. (If you’re still trying to get your head around the basics of road accident insurance and compensation, the article I’ve been Injured in a Road Accident – What do I do now? may be...

Road Safety Cone
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Pedestrians make up a large number of road injuries

In April 2019, Juanita Carroll was on her way home from work in Seaford. She was trying to cross the road at traffic lights on Dandenong Road when she was struck by a car that failed to give way to her. After the collision, Juanita had to undergo major surgery and had a metal plate, eight screws and metal rod inserted through her ankle to hold it together. Her wrists were injured when she landed on the ground. She still has bruising and experiences pain every day. The collision aggravated a previous lower back condition and possible nerve damage is being investigated. Juanita is now on the road to recovery but is still anxious and careful going anywhere near the road. According to TAC...

Slater and Gordon client Juanita Carroll was injured as a pedestrian
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Teddy Nguyen is just a regular guy

It was just a regular September night. Teddy who was 25 then, was having dinner at a friend’s house, where they made plans to see a movie. Before the movie, Teddy decided to drive his motorbike home first, so they could all travel together to the cinema. The trip home was less than two kilometres and it was a drive he’d done a thousand times before, but on his trip that night, he was struck by an L-plater on a night drive with her mum. Three years since his collision, Teddy now has a prosthetic left leg from his knee down. It was a hard choice deciding to amputate, but between the three options his doctors had presented, this was the one that best ensured him mobility in the future,...

Teddy Nguyen Slater and Gordon client2