You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

The process that precedes a compulsory acquisition can be long and drawn out. Some owners wonder whether the day will ever really come that they lose their land and get a right to compensation. Many wrongly assume there is nothing that can be done to claim for losses before the land is actually compulsorily acquired.

The last edition of this blog explored the scope of planning controls that allow the acquisition of land by government authorities. It is entirely possible that you may have to wait decades from the initial exhibition of a planning scheme amendment showing your land to be reserved for a public purpose to the actual acquisition taking place. In the interim, you are stuck with a blighted piece of land that may be unable to be developed to its full potential.

When can you claim the compensation?

Fortunately, there is a right to compensation contained in the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic) (PEA) that recognises the potential loss suffered as a result of your land being reserved or shown to be reserved for a public purpose. Unlike in a compulsory acquisition, where the acquiring authority makes the first offer to the claimant, rights to compensation under the PEA are initiated by the claimant bringing a claim against the Planning Authority (usually a local council), or the Responsible Authority (usually a body such as VicRoads or Melbourne Water).

The right to claim compensation under the PEA is usually triggered by one of two events:

  1. An application for a planning permit being rejected by Council because it is reserved for a public purpose; or
  2. The land being sold for less than it would have been worth without the land reservation in place.

Those events occurring gives rise to a claim under the PEA for compensation for financial loss.

The principle underlying these PEA provisions is that the land owner should be able to be put in the same financial position as if their land had never been reserved for a public purpose.

Where do you start with a compensation claim?

Sometimes triggering a right to compensation can involve some homework – we can advise and help you through the process so that you can trigger rights immediately rather than waiting indefinitely for a compulsory acquisition to occur.

To discuss a case with us, you can contact us here.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Property Law
Land contamination - One shot for compensation

A number of landholders at Longford in Gippsland, Victoria are now in discussion with Exxon Mobil about a potential buy up of their land, following the discovery of the toxic chemical PFAS (per and poly-fluoroalkyl substances). The substance was contained in firefighting foam that was used at the Longford gas plant for approximately 40 years up until 2008. Tests have revealed levels of water and soil contamination above government health guidelines, with the chemicals leaking beyond the plant to neighbouring properties. Exxon Mobil has indicated it is willing to negotiate with the owners of affected properties, but landholders should be very cautious of accepting early offers to buy their...

Farm Outback
Property Law
Making a pre-acquisition compensation claim

Previously we explored the ways in which land owners and occupiers can claim compensation prior to an acquisition. In this post we discuss the rights to compensation under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic) (PEA) which are designed to put the claimant in a similar position to if their land was never reserved or shown to be reserved for a public purpose. The right to claim compensation under the PEA is usually triggered by one of two events: In the first category, a claim is usually made after the following steps have been taken: In this category, a land owner has to give the relevant planning authority (usually the local Council or VicRoads) 60 days’ notice of their intention to...

Property Law
Does a Public Acquisition Overlay result in compulsory acquisition?

In Victoria, the process that leads to a compulsory acquisition almost always begins with a Public Acquisition Overlay (PAO) being placed over a piece or pieces of land by the local council. Planning overlays are instruments used by government to restrict the use of land in a variety of ways. A PAO reserves land for a public purpose and is one of the first indicators for a land owner that their land is earmarked for compulsory acquisition. One of the issues with PAOs is that they do not have an “expiry” date and can sometimes be left over the land for decades before an acquisition takes place. This quite commonly occurs along major arterial roads that are planned to be widened, such as...


We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.