You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Previously we explored the ways in which land owners and occupiers can claim compensation prior to an acquisition. In this post we discuss the rights to compensation under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic) (PEA) which are designed to put the claimant in a similar position to if their land was never reserved or shown to be reserved for a public purpose.

What are the two categories you can make your claim under PEA

The right to claim compensation under the PEA is usually triggered by one of two events:

  1. An application for a planning permit being rejected by Council because it is reserved for a public purpose; or
  2. The land being sold for less than it would have been worth without the land reservation in place.

What can trigger a ‘rejection’ claim

In the first category, a claim is usually made after the following steps have been taken:

  1. 2 sets of plans drawn up with respect to the land, the “Before” plan imagining the land was not reserved for a public purpose and the “After” plan taking that reservation into account
  2. The “Before” plans are lodged with an application for a planning permit with the relevant local council and rejected on the basis that the land (or part of it) is reserved for a public purpose
  3. The “After” plans lodged with the council and approved
  4. A valuation prepared that examines the value of the land in the ‘Before’ and the ‘After’ scenario
  5. A claim made based on the difference between the Before and After values

When can you claim compensation under ‘loss on sale’ category

In this category, a land owner has to give the relevant planning authority (usually the local Council or VicRoads) 60 days’ notice of their intention to sell the land. The land is then sold and a valuation of the land without the reservation is undertaken. The loss of the claimant is demonstrated by the difference between the theoretical valuation and the actual sale price.

It is important to note that as with a compulsory acquisition, a claimant’s professional expenses, including legal, valuation and town planning expenses, incurred in the course of preparing and submitting the claim form part of the claim for compensation.

If your land is the subject of a planning control that reserves it for a public purpose, even if that planning control has not yet been incorporated into the relevant planning scheme, it is important to seek legal advice. You may be entitled to significant compensation for the loss suffered as a result of that blight on your land, however this entitlement will only be realised by taking active steps to trigger the entitlement to compensation.

Where do you start with a compensation claim?

Sometimes triggering a right to compensation can involve some homework – we can advise and help you through the process so that you can trigger rights immediately rather than waiting indefinitely for a compulsory acquisition to occur.

To discuss a matter with us, you can contact us here.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Property Law
Land contamination - One shot for compensation

A number of landholders at Longford in Gippsland, Victoria are now in discussion with Exxon Mobil about a potential buy up of their land, following the discovery of the toxic chemical PFAS (per and poly-fluoroalkyl substances). The substance was contained in firefighting foam that was used at the Longford gas plant for approximately 40 years up until 2008. Tests have revealed levels of water and soil contamination above government health guidelines, with the chemicals leaking beyond the plant to neighbouring properties. Exxon Mobil has indicated it is willing to negotiate with the owners of affected properties, but landholders should be very cautious of accepting early offers to buy their...

Farm Outback
Property Law
You have rights to compensation for compulsorily acquired land

The process that precedes a compulsory acquisition can be long and drawn out. Some owners wonder whether the day will ever really come that they lose their land and get a right to compensation. Many wrongly assume there is nothing that can be done to claim for losses before the land is actually compulsorily acquired. The last edition of this blog explored the scope of planning controls that allow the acquisition of land by government authorities. It is entirely possible that you may have to wait decades from the initial exhibition of a planning scheme amendment showing your land to be reserved for a public purpose to the actual acquisition taking place. In the interim, you are stuck with a...

Property Law
Does a Public Acquisition Overlay result in compulsory acquisition?

In Victoria, the process that leads to a compulsory acquisition almost always begins with a Public Acquisition Overlay (PAO) being placed over a piece or pieces of land by the local council. Planning overlays are instruments used by government to restrict the use of land in a variety of ways. A PAO reserves land for a public purpose and is one of the first indicators for a land owner that their land is earmarked for compulsory acquisition. One of the issues with PAOs is that they do not have an “expiry” date and can sometimes be left over the land for decades before an acquisition takes place. This quite commonly occurs along major arterial roads that are planned to be widened, such as...


We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.