You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox


In Victoria, the process that leads to a compulsory acquisition almost always begins with a Public Acquisition Overlay (PAO) being placed over a piece or pieces of land by the local council. Planning overlays are instruments used by government to restrict the use of land in a variety of ways. A PAO reserves land for a public purpose and is one of the first indicators for a land owner that their land is earmarked for compulsory acquisition.

How long can planning overlays last?

One of the issues with PAOs is that they do not have an “expiry” date and can sometimes be left over the land for decades before an acquisition takes place. This quite commonly occurs along major arterial roads that are planned to be widened, such as Punt Road in South Yarra and Bell Street in Coburg and Pascoe Vale. The issue for land owners is that whilst a PAO may affect and blight their land now, the compulsory acquisition and the right to compensation that arises as a result may be well into the future.

A recent example is the acquisition by VicRoads of a single, residential dwelling on Bell Street, in Pascoe Vale. The property was affected by a PAO that runs mainly on the Northern side of Bell Street from Sydney Road to the Tullamarine Freeway. The PAO is in favour of VicRoads and the purpose is listed as facilitating a road widening. No information on the VicRoads, Moreland City Council or State Government websites suggests a widening of Bell Street is a project that is funded and is imminently commencing. So why was this house suddenly acquired out of the blue?

“Can they do it?” – The answer is yes

VicRoads are well within their powers to compulsorily acquire the property. The law in Victoria does not specify that an acquisition must be undertaken within a certain time of a PAO being placed on a piece of land, nor does it provide for minimum consultation periods with the land owner. The Acquiring Authority only needs to serve a Notice of Intention to Acquire, wait the minimum 2 months as set out in the Land Acquisition and Compensation Act 1986 (Vic) and gazette the Notice of Acquisition. With the publication of the Notice of Acquisition in the Government Gazette, the interest in the property is simultaneously lost by the citizen and taken by the acquiring authority.

If a property is affected by a PAO, it is important that the land owner seek legal advice and be aware of their legal rights.

If you are in Victoria and would like to discuss a matter, call 03 9602 6940. For all other states call 1800 555 777 or message us here.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Property Law
Land contamination - One shot for compensation

A number of landholders at Longford in Gippsland, Victoria are now in discussion with Exxon Mobil about a potential buy up of their land, following the discovery of the toxic chemical PFAS (per and poly-fluoroalkyl substances). The substance was contained in firefighting foam that was used at the Longford gas plant for approximately 40 years up until 2008. Tests have revealed levels of water and soil contamination above government health guidelines, with the chemicals leaking beyond the plant to neighbouring properties. Exxon Mobil has indicated it is willing to negotiate with the owners of affected properties, but landholders should be very cautious of accepting early offers to buy their...

Farm Outback
Property Law
Making a pre-acquisition compensation claim

Previously we explored the ways in which land owners and occupiers can claim compensation prior to an acquisition. In this post we discuss the rights to compensation under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic) (PEA) which are designed to put the claimant in a similar position to if their land was never reserved or shown to be reserved for a public purpose. The right to claim compensation under the PEA is usually triggered by one of two events: In the first category, a claim is usually made after the following steps have been taken: In this category, a land owner has to give the relevant planning authority (usually the local Council or VicRoads) 60 days’ notice of their intention to...

Property Law
You have rights to compensation for compulsorily acquired land

The process that precedes a compulsory acquisition can be long and drawn out. Some owners wonder whether the day will ever really come that they lose their land and get a right to compensation. Many wrongly assume there is nothing that can be done to claim for losses before the land is actually compulsorily acquired. The last edition of this blog explored the scope of planning controls that allow the acquisition of land by government authorities. It is entirely possible that you may have to wait decades from the initial exhibition of a planning scheme amendment showing your land to be reserved for a public purpose to the actual acquisition taking place. In the interim, you are stuck with a...

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.