You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Light rail is coming soon to a street near you. While few of us are opposed to extra public transport or the particular charm of trams, the NSW government is yet to confirm part of the actual route through the inner East. What happens if you receive a notice that your property is to be acquired to make way for the light rail?

Compulsory acquisitions are a tricky business and prone to cause controversy. The trickiness comes because when properties are compulsorily acquired – either fully or partially – it is done for public benefit, for example to widen roads. While people may agree with the aim of the project, it becomes very personal when it’s your home, business or carefully selected investment on the line. There will always be people who don’t want to leave their properties and everybody will always want the best possible price.

Under legislation landowners who are having their property either fully or partially compulsorily acquired have the right to receive fair market value compensation. They also may be entitled to other disturbance costs. It sounds straightforward enough – but arriving at a “fair” figure and being compensated all you are entitled to can be complex. People need to understand their rights and to ensure they are fully compensated.

There are a few things a person who is having his or her property compulsorily acquired must understand.

While you do have to sell to the acquiring authority, you can still negotiate – and, as in all negotiations, never readily accept the first offer. If you think your property is worth more than is being offered, you must build a case. If you are part of a street or a block of flats that is being acquired, you can build that case together. Building a case is a team effort that can involve lawyers, and other experts such as valuers, town planners, accountants and engineers.

If initial negotiations are not successful you, as the landowner, have the right to have the Land & Environment Court determine the fair value of your property. But you only get one chance. Getting it wrong can be very costly.

You are also entitled to have your reasonable costs of putting your case together paid by the Acquiring Authority. This is in addition to the fair market value of land compensation the landowner receives. It’s important therefore that landowners receive the best advice they can.

It is going to be a tight squeeze to get the light rail through the inner East. If you think your property will be at risk it is best to start planning now.

This article appeared in the South Sydney Herald on 06/06/2013

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Property Law
Land contamination - One shot for compensation

A number of landholders at Longford in Gippsland, Victoria are now in discussion with Exxon Mobil about a potential buy up of their land, following the discovery of the toxic chemical PFAS (per and poly-fluoroalkyl substances). The substance was contained in firefighting foam that was used at the Longford gas plant for approximately 40 years up until 2008. Tests have revealed levels of water and soil contamination above government health guidelines, with the chemicals leaking beyond the plant to neighbouring properties. Exxon Mobil has indicated it is willing to negotiate with the owners of affected properties, but landholders should be very cautious of accepting early offers to buy their...

Farm Outback
Property Law
Making a pre-acquisition compensation claim

Previously we explored the ways in which land owners and occupiers can claim compensation prior to an acquisition. In this post we discuss the rights to compensation under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic) (PEA) which are designed to put the claimant in a similar position to if their land was never reserved or shown to be reserved for a public purpose. The right to claim compensation under the PEA is usually triggered by one of two events: In the first category, a claim is usually made after the following steps have been taken: In this category, a land owner has to give the relevant planning authority (usually the local Council or VicRoads) 60 days’ notice of their intention to...

Property Law
You have rights to compensation for compulsorily acquired land

The process that precedes a compulsory acquisition can be long and drawn out. Some owners wonder whether the day will ever really come that they lose their land and get a right to compensation. Many wrongly assume there is nothing that can be done to claim for losses before the land is actually compulsorily acquired. The last edition of this blog explored the scope of planning controls that allow the acquisition of land by government authorities. It is entirely possible that you may have to wait decades from the initial exhibition of a planning scheme amendment showing your land to be reserved for a public purpose to the actual acquisition taking place. In the interim, you are stuck with a...

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.