You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Tiny House Blog

Australian houses may be some of the largest in the world, yet the rising cost of living and rising house prices mean that many are beginning to trade in their master suites and rumpus rooms in exchange for something smaller, cosier and more affordable.

Tiny houses can range anywhere from 120 – 500 square feet in size. Choosing the right size for you may depend on your particular lifestyle and needs. The size of your tiny house may also depend on the regulatory framework under which your tiny house is captured. The relative novelty of the tiny houses movement has meant that in many respects the law is yet to catch up and adapt to the wants and needs of tiny house owners.

Below are some important issues you should consider before you commence construction of your tiny house:

1. Planning Requirements

Council Planning Schemes regulate how a property can be used including the type of building that can be constructed on the land, its size and the materials to be used.

Zoning regulations may also require a minimum size for residential dwellings and variances may be permitted on application.

You should always review your planning scheme and consult your local council’s planning department about the regulations that apply to you.

2. Ancillary Dwellings vs Tiny House

An ancillary dwelling or ‘granny flat’ may be a preferred alternative instead of a tiny house as the construction of a granny flat may not be restricted by minimum size restraints. Ancillary Dwellings may however be subject to maximum size restrictions.

Ancillary dwellings generally need to be located on the same lot as a ‘main dwelling’, that is, it must be subordinate to another residential dwelling. This means you will not be able to build your tiny house on an empty lot if you classify it as an ancillary dwelling.

3. Tiny House on Wheels

Restrictive zoning regulations may mean that many tiny house enthusiasts decide to build their tiny house on wheels, which allow them to escape the jurisdiction of municipal planning law.

A tiny house on wheels will no longer be regulated as a permanent structure and will rather be classified as a light truck or caravan.

The standards governing construction of a light truck or caravan are set out in the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 (Cth).

The Act sets up standards, known as Australian Design Rules that specify the shape, size, weight and safety requirements of construction e.g. the tiny house on wheels must not exceed 2.5 meters in overall width and its height must not exceed 4.3 meters. Further, it must be fitted with a fire extinguisher.

4. Ongoing Regulation for a Tiny House on Wheels

Once a tiny house on wheels has been constructed, state and territory governments are responsible for its continued regulation, for example, its roadworthiness, registration, and the approval of modifications.

Many local laws prohibit camping for an open-ended period of time on a piece of property, even if you own the property. You should always review your planning scheme and consult your local council’s planning department about the regulations that would apply for residing in your tiny house on wheels.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Property Law
Land contamination - One shot for compensation

A number of landholders at Longford in Gippsland, Victoria are now in discussion with Exxon Mobil about a potential buy up of their land, following the discovery of the toxic chemical PFAS (per and poly-fluoroalkyl substances). The substance was contained in firefighting foam that was used at the Longford gas plant for approximately 40 years up until 2008. Tests have revealed levels of water and soil contamination above government health guidelines, with the chemicals leaking beyond the plant to neighbouring properties. Exxon Mobil has indicated it is willing to negotiate with the owners of affected properties, but landholders should be very cautious of accepting early offers to buy their...

Farm Outback
Property Law
Making a pre-acquisition compensation claim

Previously we explored the ways in which land owners and occupiers can claim compensation prior to an acquisition. In this post we discuss the rights to compensation under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic) (PEA) which are designed to put the claimant in a similar position to if their land was never reserved or shown to be reserved for a public purpose. The right to claim compensation under the PEA is usually triggered by one of two events: In the first category, a claim is usually made after the following steps have been taken: In this category, a land owner has to give the relevant planning authority (usually the local Council or VicRoads) 60 days’ notice of their intention to...

Property Law
You have rights to compensation for compulsorily acquired land

The process that precedes a compulsory acquisition can be long and drawn out. Some owners wonder whether the day will ever really come that they lose their land and get a right to compensation. Many wrongly assume there is nothing that can be done to claim for losses before the land is actually compulsorily acquired. The last edition of this blog explored the scope of planning controls that allow the acquisition of land by government authorities. It is entirely possible that you may have to wait decades from the initial exhibition of a planning scheme amendment showing your land to be reserved for a public purpose to the actual acquisition taking place. In the interim, you are stuck with a...

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.