You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

We are continuing to serve clients during the COVID-19 pandemic More Info.

Shutterstock 275530691 Resized

In late 2017 the Victorian government enacted legislation to allow motorists to pay their car registration in three monthly instalments.

The 28 day grace period to pay registration – previously only available to six and twelve month registrations - has also been extended to apply to quarterly payments.

These changes are particularly welcome to people who find themselves in a difficult financial situation, however they remain relatively unknown.

An overview of the new changes

With the introduction of the Transport Legislation Amendment (Road Safety, Rail and Other Matters) Act 2017, three and six month payment options became available from 1 January 2018 for cars, utes, vans and motorcycles, and can be taken up by anyone, regardless of their income.

Under the new arrangements an average three month registration will be $200.20, and an average six month registration will cost $400.40, compared to an average annual fee of $800.80

Taking up the three month registration option allows people to pay smaller, more manageable amounts at a time and spread the cost of registration renewal across the year.

We know from our experience with transport accident claims that for some clients, the annual $800 car registration fee wreaks havoc with their family budget. Many people just don’t have that amount of money sitting around, and the arrival of the yearly registration bill can be a real stressor for our clients and their families.

It is important that Victorian drivers understand that even if they are late with their three monthly or six monthly payment, as long as they make that payment within 28 days of the due date, they will be covered for all the relevant TAC benefits, such as income benefits, if they are involved in an accident during that time.

What exactly does your registration pay for?

Whether you pay your registration quarterly or annually, the yearly cost increases can sting. Where exactly is this money going though?

There are two key areas that your registration payments contribute to:

  1. VicRoads: Road works, maintenance and projects, as well as traffic management
  2. Transport Accident Commission: Road safety education to prevent road accidents, and medical benefits and support for those who have been injured on our roads.

What does it mean for you?

If your registration renewal is coming up, and you want to switch to three or six monthly payments, head to the Vic Roads website, or contact Vic Roads directly to make the change.

If you are entitled to a concession or discount for example a pensioner or Health Care Card concession or Apprentice discount, you will still be eligible for a discount on your registration.

Remember, if you have recently been involved in a car or transport accident and are concerned about being behind on your registration payments, don’t hesitate - make your payment ASAP and within the 28 day grace period to ensure all your TAC benefits and entitlements are available to you.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Motor Vehicle Accidents
You've had a bike crash - what do you do next?

More people are cycling to work than ever before and Ride to Work Day is coming up on Wednesday 16 October. Having more cyclists on the road increases the demand for better bike infrastructure to keep riders safe, and will lead to a safer commute for everyone. We all have a shared responsibility to keep each other safe on our roads, but cyclists are particularly vulnerable road-users. Workplaces and government want to make it as easy as possible for people to ride to and from work, but many are hesitant to try riding to work because of safety concerns. As a Motor Vehicle Accident lawyer, I see the devastating impacts that even a moment’s inattention can cause, and I have assisted many...

Cyclists Melbourne ridetowork blog resize
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Pre-Approved Treatments and Services

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) has recently made some changes to TAC entitlements that should give you easier, and more timely access to the treatment and benefits you need in the unfortunate event you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident. There is now a wide range of treatments and services which the TAC will pay for straight away, without the need for your doctor to lodge a request first. These include: The TAC must pay for these pre-approved services at a reasonable rate. If you find that you are required to make a gap payment to your provider, or have out of pocket expenses relating to these treatments and services, you should contact a lawyer now. It may be possible...

Physiotherapy Resized For Blog
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Managing your TAC claim online

Being involved in a transport accident can be stressful, however managing your claim doesn’t have to be. The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) provides benefits and compensation to Victorians injured on the road, whether that be in a car accident, motorbike accident, train, tram or bus accident, as well as, cyclists and pedestrians. The TAC has recently made some changes that should give you easier, and more timely access to the treatment and benefits you need in the unfortunate event you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident. If you are aged over 16 and have an existing claim with the TAC, you might want to manage your claim using the my-TAC app or online portal. You can upload...

Computer And Phone Resized For Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our Motor Vehicle Accident team