You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Traffic jam

In every state and territory, we have a number of different schemes and programs to help people who have been injured get back on their feet. If you’ve become injured or ill at work, you can make a claim for Worker’s Compensation. If you’ve suffered an injury on the roads there are a range of compensation benefits you can claim through Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance.

What happens if you get injured on the road as part of your job?

Most of us will rely on a motor vehicle of some sort, either as a passenger or driver, to get to and from work each day, and sometimes even during work time.

If you get hurt in a motor vehicle accident (including on public transport), whilst you’re working, your claim for compensation for time off work and medical expenses is made to your employer under a Workers Compensation scheme, not CTP insurer (although you might also have rights under the CTP scheme). This also applies if, for example, you’re on a break and hop into your car to grab some lunch, this is called an ‘authorised recess’ from work and is covered by Workers Compensation.

If you’ve been injured, you can use our Free Online Claim Check to find out where you stand and whether you might have a Workers' Compensation claim.

If you do have a Workers Compensation claim, you’ll be entitled to claim payments including:

  • Weekly payments to cover loss of income;
  • Medical and associated expenses;
  • Rehabilitation services; and
  • A lump sum payment in some circumstances.

These entitlements are known as No-Fault Entitlements, meaning they are claimable regardless of who was at fault for the accident.

If someone else was at fault for your injury, you may also be able to make a common law claim for compensation for pain and suffering, loss of earnings, and for your past and future medical expenses and care needs. Examples of when someone else may be at fault for your injury include:

  • Another driver if they were driving dangerously;
  • The local council/road authority if the road was not safe;
  • The site owner if you were driving in an unsafe worksite; and
  • Your employer if the work car you were in was not maintained properly.

A number of different rules will apply for different types of common law claims, along with time limits. We recommend that you speak with an experienced lawyer to ensure you understand your rights as early as possible.

What happens if you get injured on the road going to or returning from work?

If you get injured in a road accident going to or from work, you’ll need to make your claim for compensation with the CTP insurer as this is not considered part of your work day unless you can show that there’s a substantial connection between your employment and the accident that resulted in the injury.

To check whether you may have a Motor Vehicle Accident claim, you can use our Free Online Claim Check. Simply answer a few questions to whether you may be entitled to compensation.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.

Latest blog posts

Workplace Law
The five simple steps to making a workers’ compensation claim

Every year, thousands of Australians are injured at work - in fact, in 2013-14 alone, there were 531,800 workers who reported suffering a work-related illness or injury. During this difficult and stressful time, injured workers can receive a lot of information from employers, doctors and insurers when they report their injury. For many of us, this information can be overwhelming. It can cause additional anxiety and distress, with some feeling daunted by the thought of making a claim. In this article, we’ve pulled together a simple, step-by-step process to help you understand your entitlements, how to make a workers’ compensation claim, and where to turn if things don’t go to plan. ...

Construction Worker With Hat Cropped
Compensation Law
Can you still claim workers compensation if you’ve been injured whilst working from home?

COVID-19 has created what has been described as the largest working-from-home experiment the world has ever seen. The current pandemic has caused a fundamental change in the way many of us work and the location we are now working from. One of the interesting issues which arises from this shift is the question of what compensation entitlements a person might have if they suffer an injury whilst working at home. Every state and territory’s rules differ, but workers’ compensation generally applies to workers who suffer physical or psychological injuries whilst doing their job. The location of work is not usually important, so as a starting point, injuries which occur whilst you’re...

Working from home
Compensation Law
How to reduce your out of pocket medical costs if you’ve been injured at work

When you’re injured at work, one of the main priorities is getting medical treatment so you can get onto the road to recovery. However, medical treatments can be expensive and you don’t want to be out of pocket for these costs. That’s where WorkCover insurance comes in. WorkCover is a compulsory insurance that covers Australian employees, to provide them with benefits and financial support if they get injured or sick at work, regardless of who is at fault. Most workplaces must provide this insurance to their full-time, part-time and casual employees. If you’ve been injured at work the first thing to do is make a WorkCover claim. You should do this as soon as possible and once your...

Woman receiving physiotherapy treatment