Olga has recently been nominated for Legal Support Professional of the Year at the Australian Law Awards on the 31st of August. Visit Lawyers Weekly for details.
I’ve been a social worker for more than 30 years and I am the National Manager of Social Work Services at Slater and Gordon. Slater and Gordon’s free Social Work service exists to support our clients Australia-wide who are facing a wide range of emotional and practical concerns as they move through the process of claiming compensation. I provide short-term telephone counselling, casework and referral to local or specialised services, assisting clients to build their network of support in the community.
Before joining Slater and Gordon in 2009 I worked across public and private hospitals in Melbourne for 21 years, counselling and supporting people with traumatic injuries and serious illness. This experience showed me firsthand how devastating injury or illness can be on all aspects of a person’s life. That's why I have focused on growing our Social Work team and developing our service to assist clients to access appropriate care and treatment, build their own support network and move forward with their lives.
Seeing clients actually benefit from my assistance and helping improve their lives is by far the greatest satisfaction that anyone can get in this field of work.
- 1995 - Master of Social Work, University of Melbourne
- 1987 - Bachelor of Social Work, University of Melbourne
- 1985 - Bachelor of Arts, University of Melbourne
- 2009 - Present, Slater and Gordon
- 1995 - 2009, The Victorian Rehabilitation Centre
- 1990 - 1995, Royal Talbot Rehabilitation Centre
- 1987 - 1990, Austin Hospital
Memberships and Associations
- Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) - Accredited Social Worker
- 2013 - Present, Member of the AASW Victorian Branch Committee of Management
- Hospital Social Work Directors’ Practice Group
- Social Work Traumatic Injuries Special Interest Group
- Oncology Social Work Australia (OSWA)
- 2014 - Present, OSWA National Secretary
- OSWA VIC Practice Group
- Social Workers in Legal Settings Special Interest Group
- Rural Social Work Action Practice Group
- 2011 - 2015, Rural Social Work Action Practice Group Committee member
- International Social Workers in Acquired Brain Injury (INSWABI)
- Clinical Oncological Society of Australia (COSA)
- 2015 - Present, RMIT Social Work Program Advisory Committee member