You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

The Family Courts are committed to encouraging those who have a property or parenting dispute to resolve their cases without going to court or through a trial.

Before someone starts a case in the Family Court about property division and financial settlement, or arrangements for children, they are required to go through specified Pre-Action Procedures. The Rules of the Court require that to happen.

The requirements of the Pre-Action Procedures are:

  • in a financial/property case to make full disclosure of all documents relevant to the person's financial position, and in a parenting dispute any documents that are relevant to parenting issues
  • to participate in dispute resolution, such as negotiation, conciliation or arbitration
  • to give notice of an intention to commence proceedings before making an application to a court and exploring options for settlement

If someone doesn’t reasonably comply with a Pre-Action Procedure requirement, the Family Court may order them to pay some or all of the other party’s legal costs.

Someone who is considering filing an application to start a case in the Family Court must first give a court brochure about Pre-Action Procedures to the other person in the case. They must also find out about the dispute resolution services available and invite the other person to participate in appropriate dispute resolution.

Each person is required to cooperate in appointing a suitable dispute resolution service and to make a genuine effort to resolve the dispute.

The objectives of Pre-action Procedures are to:

  • encourage early disclosure of relevant information to each person
  • provide people with a process to help avoid legal action by reaching settlement, and
  • limit legal costs

If the Pre-Action Procedures don’t result in an overall agreement, then at least the range of issues in dispute can be limited. Also, later court proceedings should move more smoothly and efficiently because of early identification of issues and disclosure of important and relevant documents.

The Pre-Action Procedure rules apply if someone is considering starting a case in the Family Court. The same rules do not apply for a case started in the Federal Magistrates Court (which deals with less complex cases). However, even for more straight-forward cases, it is normally a good idea to follow the Family Court Pre-Action Procedure requirements to try to achieve a settlement agreement without the costs and trouble of court processes.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.