You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

When the Family Court was established in 1975 it was one of the first jurisdictions to embrace alternative dispute resolution.

For the first 25 years of the court's operation, when a husband and wife were in dispute over property they would be referred to a dispute resolution conference called a ‘conciliation conference’. Conciliation conferences were run on the basis that a lawyer employed by the court, known as a Registrar, would conduct an informal negotiation session over approximately three hours between the husband, the wife with their respective lawyers present.

The conciliation conference process was highly effective and has since been adopted by many jurisdictions including commercial and industrial jurisdictions right around Australia.

The Federal Government has become increasingly concerned about the cost of the family law system in Australia and, over the past few years, has shifted the cost burden for conferences onto litigants themselves.

In Australia at the moment there is a trial being conducted in the northern region of the family law jurisdiction (which extends from the north coast of NSW into far north Queensland). Under that system, if the asset pool in dispute by the husband and wife is less than $200,000, the litigants will be referred to a court-ordered mediation conducted by Relationships Australia. They don't have to pay for the mediator but they do have to pay for their own lawyers.

Where the asset pool exceeds $200,000, the court merely orders that the parties attend a private mediation to be funded and agreed upon by them. The theory is that the private sector will establish which mediators are efficient and that the free market economy will quickly determine the model.

The pilot project has been extremely successful - over 85% of all private mediations have resulted in settlement. This is higher than the settlement rate from court-ordered conciliation conferences.

The private mediation model has now been introduced in Sydney with all litigants in the Federal Magistrates Court being strongly encouraged to participate in private mediation, or ordered to do so even though they have had a conciliation conference with a Registrar. Hopefully, the percentage of cases settled in Sydney will increase as it has for its northern neighbours.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.