You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

When a couple separates, they will have to decide how their property will be divided between them (and how to split up the debts). Deciding who should get what can be quite challenging even during the most amicable of separations, but there are some simple details which can make the process easier to understand.

For family law purposes, property means virtually anything – whether it's an asset or a liability (debt of some kind). Property does not just include real estate (homes, farms, apartments, office blocks, vacant land). It may also include personal items (furniture, kitchenware, white goods); money (cash, bank accounts); debts owed to you or by you (to the bank as mortgages or personal loans, credit cards, loans from, or to, friends or business associates); investments (shares, interest in a business or company, timeshares); and a family business; to name just a few. Interestingly, while people often feel that pets are like children, to a court they are generally treated as property.

Whatever you can think of, it's almost certainly 'property' in the family law sense. And that means ALL of the property – whether it's in your name, your partner's name, joint names, or a company name. Essentially, "What's yours is ours, what's mine is ours and what's ours is ours."

Sometimes, especially in a short relationship, dividing up the property can be pretty easy as there is not much to split between you. It can get quite complicated where a lot of property has been accumulated over the years or where there are complex financial arrangements and structures.

There are three key questions to consider when deciding who is entitled to what property:

  1. What are the assets and liabilities, and what is their value?
  2. Who made what contribution to those assets and liabilities (before, during or after the relationship?
  3. Are there any factors that would support an adjustment of the allocation of property in favour of one person or the other?

Whether easy or complicated, always remember that the arrangements you make with your ex-partner will not be legally binding unless registered in the courts as consent orders or prepared, according to the law, as a Financial Agreement. You can settle your property distribution by mutual agreement or you can go to court to ask for a decision from a judge.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.