You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Bakery Workers Cropped

If you’re one of the thousands of Australians who are injured at work each year, you may have to spend weeks or even months away from your job.

Recovering from an injury and managing with a reduced income can be extremely stressful.

Each state and territory in Australia has its own workers compensation (WorkCover) scheme to cover some of your wages and rehabilitation while you’re off work, but navigating the process can be confusing.

And what happens when it comes time for you to return to work?

This quick guide is designed to answer some of the most common questions around returning to work after injury, and to remind you there is support available if you need it.

  • How do I know when I’m ready to go back to work?

    You will work with a medical specialist who will determine when you are 'medically' cleared to return to work duties.

  • Is it normal to feel worried about it?

    It really is! It’s very common to be scared when returning to work but I encourage people to attempt to do it, with the guidance of your doctor (GP).

    Getting back to work and into a routine is great for your mental health and rehabilitation.

    If you have problems when you go back, your doctor and your lawyer can liaise with WorkCover to help you deal with them.

  • What is the usual process for returning to work?

    How you return to work will depend on:

    • your injury
    • the type of work you do.

    Your return to work may be a gradual process, and planning it will involve:

    • you
    • your GP
    • your employer
    • WorkCover (who may arrange for an occupational therapist to visit your workplace and give recommendations to your GP).
  • What is my employer required to do?

    Your employer is obliged to keep the same job open for you that you had before you were injured.

    If you’re able to do some work, but not all of your previous duties, your employer may provide you with suitable modified duties.

  • What if I can’t do my old job?

    Unfortunately, sometimes an injury will mean you can no longer do your job. If you can’t return to the same job (for example, if you’re a scaffolder and you’ve injured your knee and are not able to climb ladders anymore), your employer isn’t responsible for finding you a new job.

    If this happens, WorkCover may arrange for you to:

    • retrain in a skill that will allow you opportunities to work again (for example, teaching or driving machinery)
    • be employed for a period of time by a host employer (such as Bunnings).

    Both of these options allow you to get back into a routine, earn money, and develop new skills, and in some cases you may be able to return to your original employer afterwards.

  • What if I’m suffering psychologically as a result of being off work?

    If you are out of work for a long time because of your injury, you may begin to feel isolated, bored and frustrated, which can lead to psychological problems such as anxiety and depression. It’s important that you discuss this with your GP. If you develop what’s known as a ‘secondary psychological injury’, this may be incorporated into your WorkCover claim.

    WorkCover also offers adjustment to injury counselling, which can give you strategies for coping and help support you during your rehabilitation process.

  • How can Slater and Gordon help me?

    Slater and Gordon have expert workers’ compensation teams in each state. We can help you at any stage of your workers’ compensation journey. If you make contact early, we can monitor your case and help out whenever you need us to, including liaising with your WorkCover claims officer to solve problems.

    My team often helps people who are keen to return to work but are unsure of the process and don’t know their entitlements.

    We can make sure your rights are protected and you get the opportunities you need through WorkCover to move on with your life.

Slater and Gordon’s approach

We understand the stress and uncertainty you may have faced as a result of your injury. We approach all of our clients’ cases with understanding and care, and can explain the process from start to finish so that you have a clear idea of what lies ahead.

We aim to give you some control and certainty during what is often a difficult time.

With Slater and Gordon, you’ll also have access to our free in-house social work service, which can put you in touch with relevant facilities if you’re struggling.

For example, our social workers can help link your WorkCover with psychological treatment if you need it, and will explain the referral process to you.

We also offer No Win, No Fee* and a free initial appointment** for Workers Compensation claims. If you would like to speak to one of our Workers Compensation lawyers submit an enquiry online or call 1800 555 777.

*No Win, No Fee conditions apply. See here.

**Free initial appointment, conditions apply. See here.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Compensation Law
A work injury can affect you more than just physically

Work is an integral part of the daily lives for many of us, and when we go into work each day we fully expect to then return home without incident. Unfortunately, that’s not always the case, as according to WorkSafe Victoria 27,925 new workplace injury claims were received last year*. Sadly, despite improved work health and safety practices, workplace injuries can still happen. Many people who’ve gone through a workplace accident, injury or illness have often noted how it turned their lives upside down, often leading to feelings of distress emotionally, physically or financially. Slater and Gordon National Manager of Social Work Services, Olga Gountras explains “nobody goes to work...

Shutterstock 2051360975
Compensation Law
As a firefighter Mike spent 24 years helping people, now he wants to help other firefighters

At 75 years old, Mike McGee likes spending quiet time with his wife, enjoying the seaside views from their home, or in his woodworking workshop, wood-turning and carving his next project. These days Mike has found a nice serenity in his retirement, after 24 years in the ACT Fire & Rescue, it’s a well deserved peace. Mike joined the fire-brigade in 1976 and has pretty much done it all – from working with bushfire tankers out in the regions, to taking emergency calls – no two days in his 24-year career was the same. Mike enjoyed his work, as a shift worker it allowed him the opportunity to spend more time with his wife and kids – a rarity at the time. He also loved the comradery,...

Mike Mc Gee
Compensation Law
Injured on the road for work? Who should you make a compensation claim with?

In every state and territory, we have a number of different schemes and programs to help people who have been injured get back on their feet. If you’ve become injured or ill at work, you can make a claim for Worker’s Compensation. If you’ve suffered an injury on the roads there are a range of compensation benefits you can claim through Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. Most of us will rely on a motor vehicle of some sort, either as a passenger or driver, to get to and from work each day, and sometimes even during work time. If you get hurt in a motor vehicle accident (including on public transport), whilst you’re working, your claim for compensation for time off work and...

Traffic jam

We're here to help

Get in touch with our Workers Compensation team