As a national military compensation lawyer, I help veterans who have been injured because of their service get the best outcomes they need and deserve—for themselves, their families and their future.
I have been a practising lawyer for more than 30 years and I am an Accredited Specialist. I specialise in Department of Veterans’ Affairs legislation and statutory compensation schemes. I am proud to have been acknowledged as the top legal advocate for victims of abuse in the military. I am passionate about health and welfare outcomes for people in the defence community.
I was raised to believe in helping people, regardless of their background or personal circumstances, and to try to make a difference for the wellbeing of others. Simply put, I want to improve my clients’ lives.
Many of my clients have significant psychological injuries and cannot represent themselves in their legal dealings. I am here to fight your battles.
I know that I need to earn my clients’ respect. When you deal with me, you’ll see that I don’t beat around the bush. I am honest and upfront from the beginning and believe in clearly communicating where my clients stand in relation to the relevant legislation.
I am actively involved in advocating on behalf of people who serve or have served in the Australian Military. I have presented evidence before numerous Senate Enquiries including the enquiries into PTSD and Mental Health, Veteran Suicide, the Operation of DVA and recently the Productivity Commission and Scoping Study into Advocacy Services. I regularly attend Round Table conferences with other Advocates at the invitation of DVA.
Professional Qualifications and Admissions
- 2002 - Accredited Specialist in Compensation Law, Queensland Law Society
- 1988 - Admitted, High Court and Federal Court of Australia
- 1987 - Admitted, Supreme Court of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Queensland University of Technology
- 1983 - Bachelor of Laws, University of Queensland
- 2008 - Present, Slater and Gordon
- 1994 - 2008, Queensland Law Group
- 1987 - 1994, various law firms including: Quinlan, Miller and Treston, Crowley and Greenhalgh and Purvis Duncan
Memberships and Associations
- Queensland Law Society
- Australian Lawyers Association
- Queensland Pro Bono Lawyers Network
- Associate Member - Australian Peacekeeper and Peacemaker Veterans Association Inc
- Honorary Member - Victims of Abuse in the Australian Defence Force Association Inc
- Multiple Senate enquiry appearances
- Numerous successful High, Federal and Supreme Court cases
- Main advocate for establishment of The Defence Abuse Reparation (DART) scheme
- Multiple appearances on programs such as 4 Corners, The Project and the 7.30 Report
Feedback from our clients
To Brian Briggs and the team at Slater and Gordon Lawyers both my family and myself are internally grateful of the professionalism and care and consideration you have in the handling of my case and we thank you for what has been a very thoughtful and positive experience for the family.
Brian Briggs and his team did a fantastic job with my case, the outcome Brian achieved exceeded expectations.He was reliable and always answered my questions when in doubt (even through covid). I highly recommend his services especially in a complex case.
Highly recommend Brian Briggs and his team at Slater and Gordon to all fellow Veterans. Professional , provided great and precise details every step of the process, from my experience I advise others to contact Brian to assist and manage DVA claims . Can not fault any part of service and advice . Ongoing support from beginning to end and continued advice and supportive knowledge making the process stress free all the background and DVA process & contact fully looked after for you by an highly rated team . Definitely Consider all others to use Slater and Gordon. Thank you to Brian and Team
I used Slater and Gordon to assist me with my military legal matters as I was in the Defence Force for over 33 years. I was extremely pleased with the outcome Brian Briggs and his team were able to achieve for me. They provided support, assisted and advised me through all facets of my case. I would strongly recommend that any Defence member speak to Brian first before navigating the DVA legal process. I don't think the same outcome would have been achieved if I self managed this or used an advocate. Speak to Brian first!