You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Teachers are part of a highly regarded profession and boast life-long skills and experience which are ideal to take with them wherever they go.

But, are WA teachers able to practice in other parts of the country? And how would they go about making the move?

Thanks to the ‘Mutual Recognition Principle’, teachers are able to register to practice their profession in other Australian states and territories.

The purpose is to promote the freedom to move goods and service providers around Australia’s national marketplace.

A teacher registered in one state who wishes to be registered in another must make a written application to that state’s teacher registration board. Among other things, the application must show that:

  • you are not the subject of disciplinary proceedings in any state (including any preliminary investigations or action that might lead to disciplinary proceedings).
  • your registration in any state is not cancelled or currently suspended as a result of disciplinary action.
  • you are not otherwise personally prohibited from teaching in any state, and are not subject to any special conditions as a result of criminal, civil or disciplinary proceedings.

If your registration is cancelled or suspended; or is subject to a condition (on disciplinary grounds, or in anticipation of criminal, civil or disciplinary proceedings) then your registration in another state is affected in the same way.

If your registration has been cancelled by the Teacher Registration Board of WA, then it is unlikely you would be able to teach in other states or territories.

However, the local registration authority of the other state may reinstate any cancelled or suspended registration or waive any such condition if it thinks it appropriate in the circumstances.

You should contact the Teacher Registration Board of WA or equivalent body in the state you wish to seek mutual recognition of registration in and enquire if they have a notice and application form for mutual recognition.

If you have any queries about practicing in other parts of Australia, speak with your union representative or ask for a referral to Slater and Gordon.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.