You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Independent Children's Lawyers are appointed by the court to represent children in Family law proceedings where there is a need for an independent review of the child's position.

Examples of when this may occur include cases where:

  1. there are allegations of physical, sexual or psychological child abuse,
  2. apparent intractable conflict between the parents,
  3. the child is alienated from one or both parents
  4. there are cultural or religious differences affecting the child,
  5. there is a proposal to separate siblings into different households, and
  6. cases where there is a high level of conflict between the parents.

This is not an exhaustive list but gives an indication of the serious nature of the issues before the court in cases where Independent Children's Lawyers are appointed. The role of the child representative is to investigate the current circumstances of the child. This is done by gathering information from various sources including teachers, doctors, psychologists, counsellors, police and child welfare authorities.

Once the child lawyer has access to the above information they determine whether it is appropriate to interview the children. The decision to interview is usually made in accordance with the ages of the child. For example, children who are in high school are almost always interviewed by the child lawyer whereas children who are in pre-school or in infants school may not.

The child lawyer will then determine whether there needs to be an expert appointed to prepare a report for the court. As these cases are usually very complex, the Independent Children's Lawyer will usually appoint a specially trained child psychiatrist to prepare a report for the court.

During a hearing, the Independent Children's Lawyer forms a view and makes recommendations as to how they would see the children's best interest being served. The court does not necessarily adopt the Independent Children's Lawyer’s view in all cases but clearly the independent nature of the investigation and the resulting recommendations are seriously considered by a Judge.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.