You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Thanks to celebrities, we’ve all heard about prenups or prenuptial agreements. And as Kanye West put it - "It's something that you need to have".

In Australia, prenups are also known as Financial Agreements, and they set out how your property and assets (including any debts) will be divided if your relationship breaks down.

A prenup can be made before, during or after you get married and includes people in de facto and same-sex relationships too. With many marriages in Australia ending in divorce, a prenup could save you the stress of who gets what at the end of a relationship.

Prenups are popular for those entering into a second marriage or de facto relationship. They provide some level of security and allow parties to control their financial affairs.

It’s important that prenups are done legally, which means they must comply with strict requirements as well as a certificate from a family lawyer stating that you have received proper advice. If the agreement is not done legally it will not be upheld and you may have to go to court if your relationship breaks down.

When are prenups appropriate?

It’s never easy talking about prenups with the person you love, but there may be times where a prenup could be important, and save you the stress if the relationship breaks down, for example when:

  • One person has much more property and assets than the other at the beginning of a relationship
  • One person is, or may later become entitled to an inheritance or gift
  • You are moving in to another relationship where your children might need to be financially protected; or
  • You both simply want to make sure the terms of any property division are agreed up front and will not end up in court.

When drafting a prenup, it’s important that you list ALL assets and liabilities, to prevent the agreement being set aside, or made invalid. If drafted properly, a prenup can oust the power of the Family Courts to deal with the assets as set out in the agreement.

What if I don’t have a prenup?

If your relationship breaks down - whether de facto or marriage - and you do not have a prenup, it is important that you obtain legal advice on the rightful distribution of your property and your other rights and responsibilities.

Care needs to be taken when the agreements are made. They must be entered into freely, giving each party sufficient time to negotiate the terms of the agreement. There can be no suggestion of coercion and some thought needs to be given as to whether the agreement will remain binding given the length of the relationship and particularly if there are children involved.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.