You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

These days, grandparents are playing an increasingly important role in the lives of their grand kids, especially as baby-sitters for busy working parents.

In fact, research shows that grandparents are the major providers of informal childcare for babies and toddlers (0-2 years) when parents are working or studying.

However, in many cases grandparents are also becoming full-time, primary carers for their grandkids because the parents are unable to provide care to their own children.

Historically, child rearing (or parenting) by grandparents was a result of sickness, disability or death of the parents, but sadly these days it can be the result of addictions to alcohol or drugs that result in parents being unable to care for their own children.

So, in society’s modern families, children and grandparents often share a strong bond but under the law, where do grandparents stand?

The Family Law Act sets out who can make an application in relation to children in Australia, and under this law, grandparents can make any application that a parent can make.

When parents divorce, the law says that they have to try to maintain a meaningful relationship between the child and both parents, and there’s also acknowledgement that children have important attachments to extended family, in particular grandparents.

Unfortunately at times, parents may go through an adversarial divorce and one or both parents may try to restrict the access that their in-laws have to the children.

In cases like these, grandparents can make an application to have time with the children and the courts will consider if this is in the best interests of the child.

Sadly there are also times when parents can’t care for their children, perhaps due to alcohol and drug addiction, and grandparents need to step into the full-time carer role.

In these circumstances, they can seek orders from the Family Court to have the parental responsibility and care of the child.

Any way you look at it, grandparents are often an important part of their grandchildren’s lives and in the eyes of the law, they can make the same applications as the children’s parents.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.