You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Switchedatbirth Blog

It can be a parent’s worst nightmare, and there’s even a TV show about it - finding out your child was switched at birth.

This scenario happened to two French couples in 1994, when years after the birth of their children they realised their daughters didn’t look like each of the parents. Subsequent DNA testing confirmed that neither of them were the parents. In 2010 the couples took the private clinic to court alleging negligence of the clinic and staff.

In February this year the families involved were awarded millions of dollars in damages.

It is worth mentioning that both children chose to stay with the mother that had raised them, rather than choosing to live with their biological mother.

The case raises interesting questions about what would happen in Australia if a similar situation occurred.

In Australia, the Family Court will consider any application made by a non-parent provided they have played a significant role in the child’s life, and in some cases they will even consider applications by people who have not been a big part of a child’s life such as extended family.

When considering this type of application, the Court will look at the relationship between the child and the person seeking custody or visitation. In the French case, the children would have no doubt developed a very close relationship with the parents who had raised them, and possibly other relatives, even though they were not related by blood.

The wishes of the children are important in a case like this if the children are old enough and mature enough to express their views.

An error such as having children swapped after birth no doubt causes considerable distress to the families involved. It could even have been exacerbated if one of the children wanted to return to their biological parents, potentially leaving one set of parents without a child.

At the end of the day, the Family Court is obligated to make care and custody decisions which are in the best interests of the children.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.