You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Heart-wrenching scenes have played-out in the media recently with four young girls embroiled in an international tug-of-war between their Italian father and Australian mother.

This bitter two-year international custody battle started when the girls’ mother brought them to Australia from their home in Italy on what the father believed was a four-week holiday. It ended last week with their forceful return to Italy by the Australian Federal Police.

In fact, it’s estimated that three children each week are abducted by a parent into or out of Australia. Around 55 to 60 per cent of these children are returned to their rightful home.

Australia is a party to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (the Abduction Convention) along with most of Europe and the United States.

Some of our nearest neighbours – Malaysia, Indonesia and most Asian countries for example – are not parties to the Abduction Convention and recovery of children may not be possible.

What is the Abduction Convention?

  • The Abduction Convention is an international treaty under which arrangements are made for the return of children who have been wrongfully removed from, or retained outside, their country of habitual residence.
  • In Australia, the International Family Law Section of the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department is the Central Authority for Australia (CCA) which handles applications in relation to children removed or brought into Australia unlawfully.
  • The CCA, makes a decision whether or not to accept all applications to/from Australia for the return of abducted children and ensures that they meet the requirements of the Abduction Convention.
  • The Abduction Convention is concerned with forum (appropriate jurisdiction to hear custody disputes) not custody or residence issue.

What can I do to prevent my child from being taken out of Australia without my consent?

  • Obtain a court order prohibiting the removal of the child from Australia
  • Place the child’s name on the Airport Watch List.
  • Do not consent to your child getting an Australian passport and/or place a Child Alert on the passport system.
  • If applicable, prevent the issuing of a foreign passport for the child by contacting the relevant consular office in your State.

What should I consider if I want to take my child to another country?

  • Obtain a court order allowing you to take the child overseas. If both parents agree to the child travelling outside Australia, the parents can enter into consent orders. If the other parent does not agree to you taking the child overseas you will need to make an application to the Family Court.
  • It is an offence to take, or try to take, your child out of Australia knowing that a current parenting order gives day-to-day care to some other person, or as a way of preventing a parenting order being complied with.
  • If convicted of these offences you may be jailed, fined or the court may vary the parenting order. If you have existing parenting orders preventing the removal of the child from Australia you should apply to vary the orders before travelling overseas with your child.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.