You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

The story of Australian mother Sally Faulkner has dominated the headlines this year, after she tried to retrieve her children from Lebanon with the assistance of 60 Minutes.

It raises a dilemma that many separated parents have considered: should they let their ex-partner take their children overseas? It’s a difficult question to answer and the answer will obviously depend on the circumstances of each family.

In many cases, parents will want to take the children on a holiday overseas and this is often not a problem. The parent who is intending to travel will obtain consent from the other parent who will usually request and be provided with a copy of the return ticket, itinerary and contact details for the children. Provided the parent is travelling with the child or children to a country that is signatory to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, there is some legal protection that the child or children will be returned. Under the Hague Convention, there is a lawful procedure for seeking the return of abducted children to their home country.

So what happens in cases where the parent is proposing to take the children to what is known as a ‘non Hague Convention’ country?

In such situations, parents need to exercise a degree of caution and think very carefully before providing consent to the proposed travel. They should ask themselves:

  1. Does the travelling parent have long standing ties including family and friends in that country?
  2. Does the travelling parent have an established job, home and network here in Australia making it more likely that they will return?
  3. Has the travelling parent expressed a desire previously to take the children to live in that country?
  4. Are there Australian court orders in place?
  5. If so, have those orders been previously breached?
  6. What is the nature of the relationship between the separated parents – is it amicable or acrimonious?
  7. Have the children visited that country in the past?

In some cases, it may even be appropriate and necessary to apply to the court for an order that the children be placed on the airport watch list – meaning they will be intercepted at the airport if an attempt is made to travel overseas.

Careful consideration should also be given to who should hold the passports for the children and whether one parent is able to apply for a foreign passport on behalf of the children without the consent of the other parent.

If you are concerned that your ex-partner is intending to relocate the children overseas without your consent you should seek urgent legal advice. There are ways to prevent travel and the courts generally treat cases where there is an imminent danger of removal with the utmost urgency.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.