Posted on 16 Feb. 2016
Slater and Gordon has called on health authorities investigating the Bacchus Marsh Hospital to leave no stone unturned after revelations that the number of baby deaths and injuries at the hospital may be higher than had previously been reported.
Senior medical negligence lawyer Anne Shortall said a report on ABC 730 on Monday night - in which she featured – had raised serious concerns.
The ABC reported that the extent of problems at the hospital went beyond the 2013/2014 cluster of 11 stillbirths uncovered by obstetrician Euan Wallace last year.
“Sadly, since Dr Wallace’s report in October last year our firm has been contacted by a number of families whose babies were stillborn or who had suffered brain injuries during childbirth dating back a number of years,” Ms Shortall said.
“There is now mounting evidence that what has happened at Bacchus Marsh is worse than first thought and may have involved failure by a number of doctors."
“The Health Minister Jill Hennessy has described the Bacchus Marsh cases as some of the most egregious clinical failures in the history of healthcare in our state.
“There is little doubt that this is one of the worst medical scandals in Victoria’s history, involving the most vulnerable of patients – unborn babies and newborns.”
Ms Shortall said the investigations into Bacchus Marsh Hospital should to be widened to include all baby deaths and injuries.
“No stone should be left unturned. No family should be left wondering why their baby died or why they were born with a disability.
“The families of Bacchus Marsh Hospital deserve answers and the Victorian community needs to be reassured that this won’t happen again.”