You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

If you suddenly find yourself needing to provide care for a family or household member due to COVID-19 circumstances, there are protections and benefits available to you.

Carer’s leave

If you’re a permanent employee, you can take paid or unpaid personal/carer’s leave if there is an urgent need for you to provide care for a family or household member. If you want to take carer’s leave, you need to notify your employer as soon as you reasonably can. In some situations, you may give notice to your employer after the leave has already started.

In addition to giving notice, you'll also need to discuss the length of leave you require with your employer.

Other arrangements

You may need to use other types of leave such as annual or long service leave if you think you might need a prolonged period away from work. If that’s the case, you also have the right to request a flexible work arrangement with your employer.

Protection from discrimination

In addition to your leave entitlements, you are also protected by law from discrimination based on your responsibility to care for a family member.

Thank you for your feedback.

We're here to help

If you’d like to speak to a member of our Employment Law team, you can arrange a paid consultation by calling us or submitting an enquiry.