You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Fl Dad

As a parent going through a separation or divorce, your main concerns are of course your children's safety, health and happiness. These are also the central consideration of the Family Court.

It can be very distressing when you are concerned for your children’s welfare, especially if it is when they are with their other parent. If you are worried that your children’s safety, consider the options below.

Remember, having your child exposed to violence is a form of abuse.

Assess the risk

Firstly, assess the reality of the risk by thinking logically and realistically about the situation. Don’t overreact to concerns that may amount to difference in parenting styles.

When to contact the police

If the risk is real and serious in your view, immediately contact the police for urgent intervention.

If your concern is about the unknown, the police can visit the children wherever they are and carry out a ‘welfare check’ to ascertain whether they are safe and well, giving you much needed peace of mind.

If the situation is serious, then the police can always physically intervene.

When to contact the Department of Child Protection

If the risk that you assess is real but not as serious, then contact the Department of Child Protection (or relevant state department) for their monitoring of the situation and potential intervention.

Always make an Application to the Family Court of Western Australia

It may damage your credibility to express concern about your children but make no Application to the Court for orders protecting them.

Therefore, when concerned for your children’s wellbeing, always make an Application to the Family Court of Western Australia on an urgent basis for orders which will protect your child. These orders can include injunctions to prevent the children being removed and injunctions to prevent the other party having contact with the children unless supervised by a responsible adult. They can also seek to suspend contact or recover the children from the other party.

Whenever an urgent Application is made it is a good move to write to the Family Court explaining to them in a letter why you want an urgent listing and why the case is so urgent that it needs to be brought on straight away.

The Family Court is user-friendly in emergency situations and will attend to the case as quickly as possible, making urgent orders when required.

Remember that there are organisations that can support you when you are concerned about the welfare of your children. Keep your cool, operate from a place of logic and use the experts at your disposal to ensure that you are doing your very best to legally protect your children from any harm.

Be sure your claims are soundly based

False claims of violence are not unheard of and whilst the Family Court is very sensitive to the need to protect children from violence they are equally vigilant about parents who will go so far as to lie about violence by the other party to prevent the children having a relationship with the other parent. Not only is the result in Court likely to be disastrous but the lying parent can be ordered to pay both sides costs.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.