You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Superannuation splitting orders are essentially orders made by the Family Court for one person’s superannuation entitlement to be split and a portion deposited into the other person’s superannuation fund.

The Family Court considers superannuation to be ‘property’ – even though you may have to wait years to receive it – and can make a splitting order in a property settlement between people who are or were married.

De facto couples can also make a splitting order, except in Western Australia where the Court does not have jurisdiction to make any orders relating to superannuation for unmarried couples.

Historically the Family Court was faced with the problem that one of the biggest assets someone had was out of reach of the Court, or one person would get property and the other would get superannuation.

Superannuation was considered to be a financial resource which, upon separation, the person who owned it would solely benefit from. The same issue is faced in reverse where the person receiving all the current assets has no financial support upon retirement. A superannuation splitting order is said to avoid these types of situations.

Typically superannuation splitting orders are more likely to be considered in longer term relationships where assets have blended and distinctions between separate assets are blurred.

A person’s earning capacity is particularly relevant as this in turn affects their ability to accrue a significant superannuation entitlement.

The Family Court has a wide discretion when deciding to make a superannuation splitting order. It must however always consider the overall assets and the division which is just and equitable.

It is also important to be aware that superannuation splitting orders take the value of the superannuation at the present date rather than the value of the superannuation at separation or any date in the future. Valuing funds is complex and you need to know how much a fund is worth before negotiating a split.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.