You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Defacto Blog

De facto relationships, and what defines them, is a common question our family lawyers are asked, particularly about what happens if they end.

Under the Family Law Act a person is in a de facto relationship with another if the couple are in a relationship and living together on a genuine domestic basis yet are not legally married to each other or are not related by family.

In 2009, the Federal Government made changes to the Family Law Act that gave de facto couples - including same sex couples - almost the same rights and obligations as married couples.

How does the court determine a de facto relationship?

It is relatively straight forward to determine if people are not legally married and not related by family. Most disputes are about whether two people ‘have a relationship as a couple living together on a genuine domestic basis’. The Family Law Act provides a list of factors to be taken into account in making this determination:

  • the duration of the relationship
  • the nature and extent of common residence
  • whether a sexual relationship exists
  • the degree of financial dependence or interdependence, and any arrangements for financial support, between the parties
  • the ownership, use and acquisition of their property
  • the degree of mutual commitment to a shared life
  • whether the relationship is or was registered under a prescribed law of a State or Territory as a prescribed kind of relationship
  • the care and support of children
  • the reputation and public aspects of the relationship.

No one factor should be considered more important than any other. However, it would be expected that the more factors that can be proved would help to determine that there was a de facto relationship and, conversely, the more factors that can be disproved would help establish that there was not.

There is no minimum or maximum numbers of factors that need to be proved or disproved when trying to establish the existence or otherwise of a de facto relationship, just as there are no minimum or maximum amounts that can be attributed to any factor, such as a minimum number of nights per week that might indicate if a ‘common residence’ has been maintained.

The Family Law Act also recognises that a person who is married could be a party to de facto property proceedings and that a person can be in several de facto relationships.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.