You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

A growing number of families across Australia are forming close bonds with 'surrogate grandparents' who can offer them support, attention and affection when they may be missing a grandparent relationship in their lives.

Perhaps due to relocating to another city, marriage breakdown or a shift-working parent, these families have decided to connect with a senior who they met in their community or even online, and build a grandparent-like relationship for their children.

This unique arrangement often sees wonderful bonds grow between everyone involved, however like any other relationship, there may be a disagreement or a difference of opinion and the parents may decide they no longer want the surrogate grandparent in their child's life.

But ending the relationship may not be as simple as they think.

The Family Law legislation provides that any person (other than the parents) who is concerned with the welfare or development of the child could make an application to see that child.

This means that if parents have a falling-out with a surrogate grandparent, that person could be so involved with the child that they believe it is in the best interests of that child to continue seeing them.

Perhaps the surrogate grandparent was providing regular childcare or was very emotionally attached to the child. They could argue that it is important to remain in the child's life and maintain that relationship.

While they may have the option to make an application in court to see the child, the success of that application would be left up to the courts to decide what's in the best interests of the child.

The surrogate parent would still have to prove that it's in the best interests of the child to continuing seeing them, but it doesn’t prevent them from making an application in the first place.

Parents could be left in a situation where they don’t like that person but that person is still involved with their child. Whether the court decides it is in the interests of the child to maintain that contact will be assessed on a case by case basis.

Parents therefore should be very careful about who they are introducing to their child and realise that just because over time they've decided they don’t like that person, it doesn’t mean the child no longer likes them.

This goes for any person who is a significant part of the child's life, not just surrogate grandparents.

At the end of the day, it's about the best interests of the child and we must look at it from the child's perspective.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.