You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

When dividing assets in the Family Court after a relationship breakdown, superannuation is usually not the first thing that comes to mind. But superannuation is often a very significant asset and must be considered in any settlement.

For many people, superannuation is forced saving for their post-retirement lives. It’s also savings that they can’t access until they reach a certain age and leave the work force. And even if the superannuation forms part of a separation settlement the funds are still inaccessible until retirement age.

The Family Court has overcome the practical difficulties associated with the ownership of superannuation. Federal legislation now allows superannuation to be treated as a type of property. That is, it can be valued and split between the spouses.

Splitting involves some of the superannuation, as decided by the Family Court, being paid over into a fund for the other party which remains inaccessible until they qualify for payment either by retirement or age. The fund can continue to grow and can be added to.

Once the transfer is made, the original party’s superannuation is reduced by the amount of that transfer. How the separate superannuation accounts are then added to is a case for each of the parties and their own financial arrangements.

Sometimes it’s more difficult where the superannuation account is ‘defined benefit’. A defined benefit is one where the amount of superannuation payable is determined at the point of retirement and is a multiple of the parties’ final salary. The multiple used depends on length of service. As a result nobody can tell what the superannuation is worth until the person retires and therefore dividing the superannuation prior to that date could be unfair to one party. To overcome this difficulty a notional division of the superannuation is made and the superannuation is determined on the date of retirement when the value of the two accounts, one for each party, are determined.

It is important for de facto or same sex couples to remember that in Western Australia they cannot split their superannuation. It is simply taken into account in the overall property settlement with each party retaining the superannuation in their name.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.