You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Fl Dad

Over the past few years there have been cases that have come before the Family Law Courts involving men who provided their genetic material (sperm) to single women or couples (mainly same sex couples) wanting to have children.

In some cases, these men donate purely for altruistic reasons and have no intention of being involved in the care and upbringing of the child. In other cases, there is an intention on behalf of the “donor father” to be involved in the upbringing of the child. So what happens when the donor father actually wants to be an active father?

Difficulty can arise when the biological mother of the child is in a de facto relationship at the time of conception. If this is the case the sperm donor father is not a “parent” at law because the legislation provides that the couple, living in a de facto relationship, are the parents. So where does this leave the donor father in terms of legal rights?

What are sperm donor legal rights?

These issues were addressed in a case decided by a Federal Circuit Court Judge in Melbourne in late 2013. The case highlights the difficulties with these types of arrangements and the risks for all parties involved, including young children.

In that case, an Application was brought by the donor father as a “person interested in the care, welfare and development of the child”. In his Application, the father sought Orders for equal shared parental responsibility (to be shared with the mothers) and Orders for a progressive and regular regime of spending time with the child, eventuating in a shared parenting arrangement. There seemed to be some evidence that the parties had intended to co-parent the child. This changed either just before or just after the birth and sadly the relationship between the mothers and the donor father broke down.

It was not in dispute that that the donor father had developed a bond with the child and that he should have an ongoing relationship with her. The problem was that the parties could not agree on the donor father’s level of involvement in the child’s life and the mothers did not wish to share parental responsibility with the donor father.

In the end, the Judge made Orders providing for the child to spend time with the donor father on a graduated basis, albeit much less time than what was being sought. The Judge did not make an order for equal shared parental responsibility. The Judge refused to consider any agreements that the parties had around the time of conception because at the end of the day, the Judge was bound to decide the case based on what she considered to be best for the young child. Any agreements, whether in writing or verbal were not legally binding and would not play a part in her decision.

The case highlights the risks associated with known sperm donors and shared parenting.

It’s important for people to think very carefully before entering into these types of parenting arrangements. For couples in a same sex relationship seeking to have children, those who do not wish to have the donor father involved in the child’s life may wish to opt for an anonymous sperm donation through more formal channels. Donor’s seeking to be involved fathers should seek legal advice about their position at law before making any decisions.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.