You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Divorce Split

There are only two ways to get matters resolved when a relationship breaks down – by negotiated settlement or through the court process.

When a relationship breaks down, a negotiated settlement that both parties can live with can save time, money and stress.

Negotiated settlement

A negotiated settlement means that both parties determine the terms of the agreement, with or without legal or other professional help (such as mediators). That agreement should then be converted into a document that is legally binding. Settling will be quicker, easier and cheaper for both parties and probably get them more of what they want than a court decision would.

An agreement can be reached – in writing or not – and it is left at that. This is known as an ‘informal agreement’. It can be witnessed by the local Justice of the Peace or can simply be a verbal understanding about how the settlement will occur. However, an informal agreement is not binding on the parties and is not legally enforceable.

Whether the agreement will work depends entirely on the continuing good faith of both parties. If one party concludes that they don’t like the agreement and decides to take it to court, the informal agreement is nothing more than evidence of intention at the time it was made.

When an agreement has not been properly formalised, it is very important to note that either party can seek to have entirely new arrangements made at some later date by applying to the court.

Unfortunately, many people have been stung in thinking that the out-of-court settlement they negotiated with their former partner was legally binding and finalised financial matters between them forever.

The Court process

There are two ways to enter into a legally enforceable property settlement with an ex-partner:

  1. by way of Consent Orders in the Family Court or
  2. by way of a Financial Agreement.

Consent Orders are agreements made between separated or divorced couples that have been registered in and accepted by the Family or Federal Magistrates Court. These agreements may include the following issues:

  • property & financial settlement
  • spousal maintenance
  • division of Superannuation
  • children's issues.

Once they are formalised by the courts, Consent Orders become a final and enforceable contract between both parties. Where only financial matters are involved, the settlement can be written up as a Financial Agreement and signed by all parties and their lawyers to become final and enforceable. If a party wants a Financial Agreement, both must get independent legal advice and certification and there are many technical rules about how these Agreements must be made.

Once an agreement has been reached, both parties should consult a lawyer for advice on the best way to ensure the agreement is binding. While there will be a cost involved for this advice, the peace of mind of knowing everything has been finally and legally resolved is worth the price.

It is possible to lodge Consent Orders with the Family Court directly. Neither party is required to attend court; the document simply needs to be filed with the court registry after signing by both parties. The court will then review the orders and satisfy itself that the terms of the agreement are ‘fair and reasonable’ and otherwise appropriate. In other words, the order will have to comply with the requirements of Family Law.

If both parties have complied with the legal requirements to prepare the forms and the court is satisfied with the terms proposed, it will issue final Consent Orders. This amounts to a legally binding contract between the parties that is enforceable in the court if either party fails to comply with the terms.

Family Court do-it-yourself settlement kits are available from the Family Court of Australia website. However, when using these kits it is important to follow the steps exactly. Also, complex orders that are impractical or impossible to implement should not be submitted in this way as it is likely both parties will end up in court to sort them out in the future.

That is why, unless both parties are seeking very simple and straightforward orders, it is certainly quicker, safer and probably a lot less expensive in the long term to use a good lawyer to draw up documents and obtain the consent orders that you need.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.