You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Same sex divorce in America remains a difficult matter, even though same sex marriage is now legal in 13 states and the District of Columbia.

Because so few states recognise gay marriages, same sex couples have often travelled some distance to make their unions official, and do not live in the states where they got married.

In the 37 states that do not recognise same sex marriage, same sex couples cannot get a divorce. In states that do recognise same sex marriage, same sex couples would need to establish legal residency there if they wanted to divorce.

Some states, including California, Delaware, Minnesota and the District of Columbia make it easier for same sex couples to divorce as they don’t require an onerous residency requirement.

For example, for a same sex couple to divorce in Washington, D.C, at least one spouse must be a resident of Washington or a member of the armed forces and stationed in Washington. States that permit or recognise marriages of same sex couples will allow same sex couples to obtain a divorce from a Washington marriage there, but those states may also have residency requirements for divorce.

Same sex divorce can be an expensive problem

Many same-sex couples were together for years, even decades, before they were allowed to marry. That can be an expensive problem in a divorce as most American courts will only divide assets starting from the time a couple actually got married.

Federal income tax laws can also complicate matters. Same sex couples splitting property or assets may get hit with a federal gift tax that does not apply to heterosexual couples.

Same sex couples, so far, divorce only half as often as heterosexual couples do, according to a study by the Williams Institute, a Los Angeles think tank that studies legal issues related to sexual orientation.

Finding a lawyer familiar with the specialised practice of gay divorce can be expensive, so it helps to find someone sympathetic to the cause.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog