You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Marriage equality is an important topic. Do we need a public vote or simply for the pollies to amend the existing Marriage Act? With the plebiscite being hotly debated in Australia, other key topics such as superannuation benefits should also be raised.

The union of marriage provides automatic recognition, for example, if a spouse or child is injured, the other spouse is automatically looked to by schools, hospitals and the like as having authority to make decisions.

The absence of such automatic recognition may cause difficulty for a same-sex partner in claiming superannuation monies, despite the definition of spouse in superannuation laws which states that a spouse includes:

  • Another person who is legally married to the person;
  • Another person (whether of the same sex or a different sex) with whom the person is in a prescribed kind of relationship that is registered under a State or Territory law (for example, in Victoria the Relationships Act 2008); and
  • Another person who is not legally married to the other person but lives with that person in a genuine domestic relationship as a couple

Where there is no legal marriage, a successful claim for payment of superannuation might depend on numerous factors including whether you were in an “interdependent relationship”.

The basic test of an interdependent relationship has four elements:

  • Did you have a close personal relationship with the deceased member?
  • Were you living together?
  • Did one or each of you provide financial support to the other?
  • Did one or each of you provide domestic support and personal care to the other?

You may have named your partner in your will as a beneficiary, but that is not enough to ensure your partner will receive the benefits, which can be substantial, in and through the superannuation fund. Superannuation benefits in most cases do not form part of the estate.

The best way to ensure your wishes are carried out is to complete a binding nomination form (which most funds offer), nominating your partner as the person to whom the superannuation benefits are to be paid.

To remain valid, the binding nomination form must be renewed every three years.

On one occasion the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal (“SCT”) found the girlfriend of an 18-year-old deceased member was entitled to payment of the death benefit through his superannuation fund on the basis that they were in an interdependent relationship. According to the SCT this was because:

  • The couple had been dating for 2 years and had engaged in sexual activity together;
  • Three months prior to his death the member moved in with the girlfriend who resided at her parent’s home;
  • They did not share a joint bank account but paid for each other’s expenses from time to time
  • Shared domestic duties

This decision highlights the difficulties faced by superannuation funds in distributing superannuation money where the wishes of the deceased are not recorded in a binding nomination.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.