You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

One of the hardest problems to solve at the end of a relationship or marriage can be who gets to keep the pet cat or dog.

This would be a simple dispute to avoid if, at the start of the relationship or marriage, there was a legally enforceable agreement specifying who is to keep the pet.


Everyone will have heard about "Pre-nups", jargon for Binding Financial Agreements under the Family Law Act, where you agree at the start of the relationship or marriage on how the whole asset pool is to be divided if there is a separation.

One of the main problems with enforcing a Pre-nup a long time after the commencement of the relationship/start of the marriage is that, when you sign up to the Pre-nup, it is uncertain what the future assets will be. That overlays a significant amount of uncertainty, and can be one of the key reasons why a Pre-nup could be set aside later on.

How does this apply to your pet?

A little used provision in the Family Law Act allows people to have a Binding Financial Agreement that is limited to just one asset. You are not required to cover every asset that each side has, or will have in the future, although that is what most Pre-nups try to do.

So, for example, you could have a Binding Financial Agreement at the start of a relationship or marriage that simply specifies who is going to get a specified pet. If the pet was clearly identified, for example by reference to its registration number, so long as the pet was still alive at the end of the relationship or marriage, then the Binding Financial Agreement would be clearly enforceable and would avoid any dispute about ownership.

If neither side owns a pet at the start, you could potentially say in the agreement that if a pet is purchased during the relationship/marriage then the person with proof of payment of purchase gets to own the pet.

Binding Financial Agreements entered into at the start of the relationship or marriage that says who gets to keep the pet could be described as a “Pet-nup”. Maybe, if it is an agreement about who gets to keep the pet dog, you might describe it as a “Pup-nup”.

Things to remember

If you just have a Pet-nup, remember that everything else you own gets divided after separation either by agreement at that time or by the court.

It is important to remember that the law does not enable legally enforceable "visitation" rights for pets to be agreed to. The law only specifies who gets to own a pet. In that regard a pet is really no different to some other asset, such as a car or boat. So if you sign up to a “Pet-nup”, that says who gets to keep the pet cat, and what the visitation rights are for the other person, the part about visitation rights will not be legally enforceable, but the part about ownership will be.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.