You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

A US Supreme Court judge has ruled that a New York woman can serve divorce papers to her soon to be ex-husband via Facebook, but could this happen in Australia? The short answer is, yes.

Sometimes during a separation, people avoid being served divorce papers. Perhaps they are evading money orders for a property settlement, attempting to sidestep spousal maintenance or just simply trying to play games.

It is often a time consuming and costly process trying to find someone who is deliberately evading the service of legal documents.

In Australia, if someone avoids being served with divorce papers, a Family Court judge has the power to look at creative ways – including social media – to notify them about court cases. It’s called an Application for Substituted Service.

A lawyer can make an application to a judge which explains that one party is avoiding being served papers, but they’re clearly active on Facebook or other social media sites.

If the judge is given the evidence and is satisfied that the person has an account that they regularly use, then an order could be made to serve the papers online.

Social media is the modern way of communicating, so family lawyers are increasingly using these online accounts to find people and serve important papers.

And it’s not just Facebook or online social media. A judge can rule that divorce orders be served via text message or any other electronic communication method available.

A spouse has the right to be involved in family court proceedings against them. This means that documents filed with a court must be provided or ‘served’ to them at least 28 days before the court hearing, or 42 days if they’re overseas.

Going through a separation is a difficult time for everyone involved and it’s best to get legal advice if you have any concerns about locating someone and serving them papers.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.