You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Forced Marriage

Forced marriage is a practice that is often associated with other countries and cultures. But in recent years it has become evident that forced marriages are also taking place in Australia.

The Australian Federal Police has recently revealed it is investigating more than 30 cases of forced marriages, involving children as young as nine.

Under the Marriage Act (1961), couples who enter into marriage must do so freely and fully consenting and they must be at least 18 years of age. In exceptional circumstances, and with the consent of their parents and/or the Family Court of Australia, one of the parties can be aged between 16 and 18, but not both.

Specific laws outlawing forced marriage were introduced in Australia in 2013. They are designed to protect both adults and children by making it an offence to coerce, threaten or deceive a person into getting married.

A person who forces another to marry faces a maximum penalty of four years imprisonment or seven years if the offence is aggravated by certain factors, including the age of the victim. The penalty increases to 25 years imprisonment if the victim has been taken overseas to be married.

The aim is to punish the perpetrators and not the victims.

If you suspect that someone is a victim of a forced marriage, you should immediately report the matter to the Australian Federal Police.

A Family Court order can be obtained to prevent or end a forced marriage. The Court also has the power to direct the Australian Federal Police to place a child's name on an Airport Watch List to stop them from being flown out of the country to marry.

Finally, it is important to distinguish the difference between a forced marriage and an arranged marriage. It is not against the law, for a third party to arrange for a couple to be introduced for the purpose of marriage. As long as the couple enters into a marriage freely and fully consenting, their marriage will be legal.

Read more: Can couples be "married at first sight" in Australia?

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.