You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Media reports of further delays and underfunding in the Federal Circuit Court and Family Courts are alarming, and will put mothers and children at risk of being domestic violence victims, particularly those in regional areas.

It’s an emotional time for everyone when a relationship breaks down, particularly for children. For couples going through a divorce, it currently takes up to two years for family legal cases such as custody arrangements to be resolved due to a lack of judicial resources. However, it is the opinion of many in the industry that most of these cases should only take 12 months.

What is particularly concerning is that families in remote and regional areas are suffering the greatest from the delays and under resourcing, with many unable to travel to Family Court. Family law practitioners know that the longer the delay to have their case resolved, the worse the damage to the child.

Most cases before the Family Court are children’s cases and the demand on court services means that judges and parents are being forced to order temporary measures that may not be in the best interest of the child.

The stop gap measures that are put in place while a decision is being made can fundamentally affect a child’s development and put both the child and their mother at risk of domestic violence.

Children under five years of age are at a critical stage of development and that can be adversely impacted from disruptive custody arrangements and feuding parents.

Slater and Gordon continues to support the Federal Circuit Court and our clients, but the Federal Government should give careful consideration to resourcing the court at a level where cases can be resolved within 12 months to keep it in line with industry best practice.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.