You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Shadows Blog

There are many misconceptions as to when a de facto partner can make a claim for an interest in their former partner’s property.

The classic example being that if your partner moves in, then after six months they can take half of what you own. So what is fact and what is fiction?

Contrary to popular belief, for a de facto relationship to be reconsidered within the Family Court the couple must be living as a de facto couple for at least two years. If the relationship falls short of this period the Family Court has no jurisdiction to make orders in relation to your assets and liabilities.

There are, however, exceptions to this rule to prevent any serious injustice to the de facto partner who does not hold any assets. Circumstances where this may arise are if a child is born out of the de facto relationship or one party has made a significant contribution to the other party’s assets in the time they cohabitated.

Of course what is defined as a ‘significant contribution’ is not clearly identified by the Family Court, however, your solicitor can provide advice in relation to the current case law which can give guidance as to what a significant contribution is.

So if it is established that you have lived together as a de facto couple for more than two years, what is the other party entitled to should you separate?

The Family Court works upon the same principle with regard to short and long unions of married and defacto couples, the only exception being how superannuation is treated within a de facto relationship.

Generally, there is a presumption that if the de facto relationship is short, or under five years, the parties should more or less receive what they contributed financially towards the assets and a percentage accounted for any growth in value of the assets.

If the de facto relationship is a long relationship, non-financial contributions become more relevant and the parties contributions are more likely to be considered equal which should be reflected in what each is to receive.

These presumptions are of course rebuttable on the basis that each case has their own set of facts and circumstances which can alter what each party is to receive. Your family law solicitor is best equipped to advise what you could be potentially entitled to.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Family Law
Is your inheritance protected?

Once you have made the choice to separate, it is likely you have started the difficult process of deciding how to divide your assets. For most people, this process begins with a ‘yours’ and ‘mine’ approach, whereby you separate assets into certain baskets depending on who they belong to. Regardless of your process, it is vital at this stage to receive legal advice to ascertain exactly what it is you are entitled to. It is possible what you want, and what you are entitled to, may be two very different realities. The Family Law Act gives the family courts broad discretion to make orders in relation to financial cases, including orders for dividing assets between parties. Whether you...

Istock 476824114 Blog
Family Law
Four key facts you need to know about your property settlement

When a marriage or a de facto relationship ends, the parties need to finalise their financial ties with one another. This may involve the transfer of ownership of real estate, cash, superannuation or other property from one party to another. For example, if the matrimonial home is in joint names the parties may agree that the house be sold and the proceeds divided. Alternatively, the parties may agree that one party receives the house and makes a cash payment of some nature to the other party to ‘buy out’ their interest. When you are separating, it is important to get legal advice from a Solicitor specialising in family law, in order to determine your entitlements. Any agreement reached...

105625090 Blog
Family Law
Can I change the locks?

“Can I change the locks?” – This must be one of the most common questions addressed by any family lawyer. The simple answer to whether a party going through separation can change the locks on a property they are living in is usually “yes”. If there is no court order which affects that person’s right to occupy the property, then in most circumstances there is little prohibiting a party from changing the locks. However the position can differ slightly depending on, which party legally owns the property. Where the property is owned by both parties Where the property is owned by one party Where the property is leased to you In all circumstances Perhaps the question asked should not...

Istock 475237296 Blog

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.