You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox


Someone has just handed you a document and tells you that you have been served with a Complaint, Writ, or Statement of Claim (also known as the Originating Process). What does this all mean, and what if you do nothing?

Those legal documents are a means for commencing Court proceedings against a party (you, for instance). That document sets out the claim the issuing party (known as the plaintiff) has against another party (known as the defendant), as well as the facts and circumstances which give rise to that claim. Claims can be as simple as owing someone money, or as complex as copyright infringement.

We recommend that you seek legal advice after you’ve been served so that you understand what the claim is about, what the strengths and weaknesses of the claim are, and whether you have a counterclaim against the plaintiff. All of these factors will help you to decide what action you should take.

I want to dispute the claim

From the moment that you have been served with legal documents, the litigation process begins and there are a number of procedures that must take place within a certain timeframe.

  • You need to file a defence with the relevant Court (within 3-4 weeks, depending on the Court)
  • You also need to serve a copy of the defence on the plaintiff at the same time
  • You should engage a lawyer to prepare the defence

Preparing your own legal defence can be costly and time-consuming if the documents do not comply with court rules or contain necessary information.

What if I do nothing?

If you do nothing after being served, and the deadline for you to prepare a defence has expired, the plaintiff may apply to the court to obtain default judgment against you without any further notice to you.

What this means is that the Court may automatically grant the plaintiff the relief that it seeks from you without hearing your side of the story. For example, if the plaintiff claims that you owe it $1,000, and if you do not file a defence, the Court can make an order that you pay the plaintiff $1,000.

Once the plaintiff has an order against you, the plaintiff may take steps to enforce that order against you such as obtaining a warrant to seize and sell your assets to pay the debt.

Taking no action can result in costly and undesirable consequences.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Consumer and the Law
Liar loans: how mortgage brokers are putting clients at risk

The term ‘liar loans’ has been coined on the back of the Banking Royal Commission. This is because studies have shown almost 40 per cent of loan applications completed through mortgage brokers contained at least one factually incorrect statement. Whether mortgage brokers are providing lenders with incorrect information, or information that is out-of-date, they are putting themselves – and their clients – at risk. A recent study conducted by the Consumer Credit Legal Centre in New South Wales identified some mortgage brokers were breaking the law when filling out loan applications for their clients. Common examples included brokers suggesting their clients provide a different answer...

Planning desk close up documentresize
Consumer and the Law
How to lodge a complaint with Australian Financial Complaints Authority

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) acts as the middleperson between financial firms and consumers or small businesses, offering free and independent dispute resolution services. It deals with complaints about financial advice, insurance, banking and superannuation products and services. While the time limit to lodge a complaint to AFCA is usually between two and six years, the Australian Government recently created the opportunity for those with complaints up to 10 years old to come forward. This means consumers and small businesses have until 30 June 2020 to lodge complaints dating back to 1 January 2008. To lodge a complaint, you must follow AFCA’s process. It is...

How to lodge a complaint with Australian Financial Complaints Authority
Business Law
Proposed Changes to the Franchising Code of Conduct

Franchising is big business in Australia, with approximately 1,120 franchise systems and 79,000 franchise units operating nationally1. As franchising is a diverse sector with characteristics that are unique from other business models, franchises are governed by a mandatory Franchising Code of Conduct (Franchising Code).2 The Parliamentary Joint Committee on Corporations and Financial Services recently completed an inquiry into the operation and effectiveness of the Franchising Code and has released the Fairness in Franchising Report (Report).3 Some of the key findings and recommendations of the report are discussed below. The Committee recommends that the Australian Government establish an...

Waitress In Black Apron Upload

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.