Mitigating risk for SMEs: complying with your legal obligations
Thursday, 10 August 2017
8.00am for 8.30am – 9.30am
Light refreshments will be served
Slater and Gordon
90A Watton Street
As the operator of an SME, are you aware of your legal obligations? Litigation and dispute resolution is time consuming and expensive and something you want to avoid. Understanding your requirements and addressing them before you end up in trouble could not only save you financially, but could ensure the survival of your business.
Whether you’re starting a business, successfully running a SME or considering opportunities to exit your business, this seminar will examine the key issues you must address to protect yourself against a legal dispute with a stakeholder.
Topics covered will include:
Starting a business
- Structuring your business as a sole trader, partnership or company
- Guarantees and understanding your responsibilities when borrowing money
- Protecting your intellectual property
- Your rights and commitments when leasing property
- Knowing your obligations when taking out insurance
- Understanding the risks and rewards of operating a franchised business
Running a business
- Your obligations under the Australian Consumer Law
- Your rights and obligations under a contract
- Consequences resulting from a breach of contract
- Directors’ duties and shareholders’ rights
- Steps to recovering outstanding debts
- Your obligations to employees and contractors and how to manage dismissals
- Managing your stakeholders’ privacy in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988
Exiting a business
- Advising authorities and cancelling business names and numbers
- Your duties to disclose your plans to stakeholders
- Your obligations to employees and contractors
- Understanding the insurance requirements for your businesses
At the completion of the seminar, experienced lawyers will be available for 15 minute, obligation and cost free appointments, to meet with you to discuss any concerns you may have about your business.
When you register to attend this seminar, you will receive a Small Business Checklist to help you recognise whether you need the advice of a lawyer in a one-on-one meeting after the seminar.
If you would like to meet with one of our lawyers, please check the box below and we will contact you to confirm a time.
Register your details below