I have practised as a lawyer for a total of 24 years. I have a great respect for our legal system, and believe in its capacity to provide for an essentially fair and just society.
I advise and represent clients in all matters relating to employment, the workplace and industrial relations. Over my twenty plus years of experience I have practised as a lawyer in both large firms in specialist employment and IR practices, as well as in a small suburban general practice. I am experienced in advising and representing both employees as well as employers. I have also worked ‘in house’ in Human Resources and People & Culture roles at Arthur Andersen, Accenture, National Australia Bank, Unisys and University of Melbourne. Most recently I was the Principal of a law firm owned by Professionals Australia, a Union for Engineers, Scientists, Managers, Pharmacists and other professional employees. I have in depth knowledge of and experience in the employment terms, contracts, workplace instruments, laws and policies covering professionals working in the corporate and public sectors. Having worked in a suburban law firm however, I am also experienced and capable of advising employees and employers from all industries and occupations.
I practice in this area because I am interested in each person’s story and find it fulfilling to assist clients to be more empowered in their employment and, or to overcome difficulties.
I spend as much time as I need to in consultation to get the background to a client’s situation and circumstances, while ensuring all actions are delivered in the most cost-effective manner possible. I always act in the client’s best interests and give honest advice and recommendations based on the client’s prospects of success or the likely outcome of any situation. I am always conscious that it’s the client’s case and no action can be taken without the client’s instructions and success is defined by achieving the outcomes the client is seeking.
Memberships and Associations
- Law Institute Victoria
- Industrial Relations Society Victoria
- Acting Director Industrial Relations and Principal Legal Officer, Professionals Australia 2011 – 2021
- Lawyer, KPA Lawyers, 2005 – 2011
- People & Culture Consultant, National Australia Bank, 2001-2005
- HR Manager, Accenture, 1999 – 2001
- HR Business Partner, Unisys, 1998 – 1999
- National Policy Manager and Employment Lawyer, Arthur Andersen and Andersen Legal, 1996-1998
- Employee Relations Manager, University of Melbourne, 1995 (3 month secondment)
- Senior Associate, Phillips Fox Solicitors, 1990-1995
- Articled Clerk, Richmond and Bennison Solicitors, 1989-1990