Asbestos Claims, Practice Group Leader/Special Counsel
Email Stephen or contact our Asbestos Consultants on 1800 555 615
Stephen Plunkett approaches his legal practice in personal injuries and asbestos armed with a good deal of tenacity, strong negotiation skills and an ability to rapidly ascertain the important issues of a case.
He is dedicated to the task of helping those who need it most and achieving results on behalf of his clients, many of whom are terminally ill or suffering serious breathing or other injuries as a result of exposure to asbestos.
Empathetic, direct, results driven and approachable, Stephen is acknowledged by his clients for the results he secures and the speed with which their cases are resolved.
Stephen was involved with the first successful common law asbestos claim. He has also run many other test cases for Asbestos victims. This has resulted in paving the way for the thousands of people suffering from asbestos exposure, to obtain fair compensation for their injuries.
Stephen has also been involved with many class actions including the Wittenoom asbestos litigation, breast implant class actions and the HIV blood contamination cases.
Stephen completed his Bachelor of Laws at Monash University in 1980 and joined Slater and Gordon in 1982.
“The practise of the law can be a thoroughly fulfilling and rewarding occupation but requires hard work and dedication to your clients”
- 2001 to date Slater and Gordon, Practice Group Leader/Special Counsel
- 1989-2001 Stater and Gordon, Senior Partner
- 1982-1989 Slater and Gordon, Lawyer
- 1980-1981 Molomby and Molomby (lawyer)
- 1980 Geoffrey R Gronow (articles clerk)
Memberships and associations
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Australian Lawyers Alliance
- Asbestos Council of Victoria
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Gippsland Asbestos Related Support Group
- Melbourne Cricket Club
- RACV Club
Professional qualifications and admissions
- 1996 Completed Course in Mediation including dispute management theory and conflict resolution
- 1993 Accredited Specialist Personal Injury Law
- 1989 Admitted, Supreme Court of Western Australia
- 1989 Admitted, Supreme Court of New South Wales
- 1981 Admitted, Supreme Court of Victorial
- 1981 Admitted, High Court of Australia
- 1980 Bachelor of Laws, Monash University
- 1980 Bachelor of Jurisprudence, Monash University
"I just wanted to say a big thank you for representing us on behalf of James. We deeply appreciate all you have done for us ."
"I would like to thank you for all your help and thoughtfulness for taking all the worry from us in our difficult time."
"Dear Stephen and Slater and Gordon staff,
Thank you for your card and wishes and Stephen thank you for all you have done, your thoughtfullness meant so much at this difficult time."