Please select your location to view information that is specific to you.
Workers Compensation, Practice Group Leader
Phil Young began his legal career after serving 13 years as a detective with the New South Wales Police Force.
Motivated by fairness and justice, Phil followed the natural progression from criminal prosecutions to protecting the legal rights and entitlements of those who have suffered at work, in motor vehicles or through the negligence of others.
He has been practising throughout country New South Wales since 1998 and has extensive knowledge and experience in all aspects of compensation. He is an experienced mediator and regularly represents clients in courts, commissions and tribunals.
Phil's background gives him insight and understanding when representing emergency service workers who have been involved in life threatening situations in the line of duty. He currently acts for a number of New South Wales police officers with physical and psychological injuries sustained at work.
Phil has a strong resolve and doesn’t accept failure easily. He is realistic and committed to achieving the best outcome for his clients. Recent successful results include:
- Numerous police compensation claims, including a female officer who injured her ankle while carrying out a prisoner extraction
- Mineworkers’ compensation claim for an employee who sustained a serious back injury while driving a dump truck on a poorly maintained mine surface
- Workers’ compensation claim for an abattoir worker who developed over-use syndrome and suffered injuries to both shoulders
- Compensation claim for a woman who damaged her tooth after biting into a hot dog which contained bones
- Motor vehicle accident and workers’ compensation crossover claims for a woman who was injured while driving home from work
- Workers’ compensation claims
- NSW police compensation claims
- Mining and mineworker compensation claims
- Motor vehicle accident claims
- Public Liability and product liability claims
- General compensation and personal injury claims
- Advocating compensation arbitrations
- Mediation and settlement negotiations
- District and Supreme Court hearings
- since 2010 Slater and Gordon Lawyers
- 2003 – 2010 Adams Leyland Lawyers
- 1998 – 2003 Bale Boshev Lawyers
- 1985 – 1998 New South Wales Police Force
Professional qualifications and admissions
- 2014 Accredited Specialist, Personal Injury, New South Wales Law Society
- 2005 Mediation Certificate
- 2004 Admitted to the High Court of Australia
- 1997 Admitted Supreme Court of New South Wales
- 1997 Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- 1995 Diploma of Law, University of Sydney
Memberships and associations
- New South Wales Law Society
- Australian Lawyers Alliance
- Retired Police Association Member
Phil was born and raised in Manly, New South Wales. His father was a stock drover in the 1950s, droving cattle throughout the central west of New South Wales before joining the STA as a bus driver. The family settled in Manly where Phil's mother originally resided.
Phil shares his father's keen interest in horses and was a member of the Australian Stock Horse Society and the Australian Appaloosa Breeders Association. Upon moving to Dubbo he acquired a small hobby farm making oaten hay and breeding beef cattle.
- June, 2014 Submissions to the NSW Government recommending changes to the Amended Workers Compensation Act, 2012.