Public Liability, Senior Associate
Thorough, keen, and a great communicator, Maria McGarvie's career has taken many twists and turns over the years. Having had the benefit of working for a number of different community and public benefit organisations. Maria's experiences have introduced her to many different people and community organisations and contribute to her better understanding of clients and their needs.
"My empathy and no nonsense attitude are my key strengths."
Maria has represented workers and family members who have been exposed to asbestos and who have contracted a range of deadly diseases as a result. Working with the needs of individual clients is challenging and rewarding. From a plumber who worked directly with asbestos pipes, to the electrician who has worked cutting asbestos cement sheet or drilled holes to make switchboards, to the family members who have contracted illnesses as a result of their indirect contact with asbestos – all of this work is daunting. Working with people as they face life threatening illnesses provides unique challenges in the personal injuries field.
A lawyer and mother of four, Maria enjoys the opportunity to work with dedicated colleagues and appreciates the Slater and Gordon environment which acknowledges work/life balance.
"There is great support for further education and enhancement of skills which means Slater and Gordon is prepared to invest in its workers for the 'long term'."
Maria McGarvie was formerly a Committee Member of the Asbestos Diseases Society of Victoria (ADSVIC) and is now a Member and Advisory Board Member of Asbestoswise. Asbestoswise is the new Melbourne advocacy and support group for asbestos disease sufferers and their families.
"Returning to the firm after so many years has been wonderful. Once again I am part of a team of people committed to serving its clients. It’s a great privilege to be part of this team who are such strong advocates for their clients." - Maria McGarvie
- Public Liability
- Asbestos Litigation
- Accredited Specialist Personal Injury Law
- Slater and Gordon since 2008 (lawyer)
- 2006-2007 Victoria Law Foundation (projects manager)
- 2005 Volunteering Australia (project worker)
- 2003-2005 Victoria Law Foundation (grants manager)
- 2003 Jesuit Social Services (project worker)
- 1997-2002 Australian Banking Industry Ombudsman (case officer)
- 1985-1990 Slater and Gordon (lawyer)
- 1984 Herbert Geer and Rundle (articles)
Memberships and Associations
- Member - Law Institute of Victoria
- Member - Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member - Australian Lawyers Alliance
- Member - Asbestoswise
- Member - Slater and Gordon Pro Bono Committee
Professional Qualifications and Admissions
- Accredited specialist Personal Injury Law
- 2008 High Court of Australia
- 1984 Admitted, Supreme Court of Victoria
- 1983 Bachelor of Laws, University of Melbourne
- 1983 Bachelor of Arts (Hons), University of Melbourne
"Our family and dad in particular are very grateful for your dilligent work. It has given him great assurance and comfort that Mum will be financially comfortable...It's nice to know that there are people out there that can help those families in unfortunate circumstances. Keep fighting the good fight..."
"I want to thank you and all your colleagues for your efforts on my behalf and for the successful outcome you achieved for me..."
"Just a short note to compliment you on the way in which you handled my compensation claim. The claim was handled with the most consideration and very little stress to myself."