Please select your location to view information that is specific to you.
Family Law, Practice Group Leader
Leisa Toomey is a Practice Group Leader and heads the Sunshine Coast Family Law Department. She has practised almost exclusively in Family Law since the early 1990s.
Leisa is an Accredited Family Law Specialist with the Queensland Law Society and an Independent Children’s Lawyer/Separate Representative.
Leisa has been instrumental in the strategic growth and direction of the firm. She undertakes complex Family Law property matters, custody issues, children’s matters and mediations. She understands a family’s need to resolve matters efficiently, to relieve the stress that separations cause to all parties.
As part of her philosophy to ensure everyone has access to good legal advice, Leisa is an advocate of the legal aid system. Leisa has been helping children since 2002 in matters where their parents have been unable to reach an agreement about their ongoing care or if they have been subjected to sexual and/or emotional abuse. Leisa has significant experience in this field and over the years she has had the opportunity of dealing with very complex and difficult children’s matters in the Federal Circuit Court and the Family Court.
- Since 2014 Slater and Gordon, Practice Group Leader
- 2000-2014 Schultz Toomey OBrien , Partner
- 1998-2000 Boyce Garrick / Schultz Toomey Obrien, Solicitor
- 1996-1997 Boyce Garrick, Law Clerk
- 1992-1996 Windsor Craig, Articled Law Clerk
- 1989-1991 Munro Thompson, Mooloolaba, Articled Law Clerk
Professional Qualifications and Admissions
- 2005 Accredited Family Law Specialist 2003 Independent Children’s Lawyer / Separate Representative
- 1998 Admitted, Supreme Court of Queensland
- 1997 Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
Memberships and Associations
- Current member of the Family Law Council of Australia (Sunshine Coast Region Representative)
- Current member of the Queensland Law Society
- Past member of Queensland Law Society Family Law Committee
- Past member of the Sunshine Coast Contact Centre
- Past member of the Sunshine Coast Community Legal Service
- Past member of the Board of Director of the Maroochy Returns Serviceman League